Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Headed to Ohio

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well not yet, but I'll be leaving tomorrow morning.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. It looks like I'll have one of my old hot spots to my self. Hopefully the deer will be in there. :pickle:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Button buck hunting?

Oh.... you know that is gonna happen!

Didnt go oit this morning. I pussed out and slept in. Besides i should prob go to church with mom anyway. Ill be headed out around 2 or 3.

Yesterday i scouted the spot im hunting tonight. I took my truck and drove around in circles and figure 8s for 30 min to smash the snow down. When i was done i spread out 100 pounds of corn in the 1/4 acre size area about 70 yards from the ladder stand. I did the same on the other place i hunted

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Yesterday afternoon i jumped either a really big spike or a descent buck but couldnt see the rest of his rack. The wind was wrong and like a rookie i hunted the stand anyway.

This morningi slept in due to freezing rain. Around 830 i got the stand i hung last night and found it iced up. Clearing ice off the steps and stand was prob easier in the day light. Lol

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well i got skunked tonight. This morning there was literally a thousand deer tracks around my stand. They also found the corn so i was pretty confident id see something tonight.

Around 4 the damn wind shifted in the direction i expected the deer to come from. I smoked up pretty good so im not sure if they smelled me or just went someplace else.

Either way i had a good time. Im headed back to PA tomorrow.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I think it was just one of those evenings. Sounds like you had fun though!

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I have a lot of faith in smoking up and I was pretty darn smokey.... LOL

I'm coming back next November to that spot. Beans have been the crop for the last two years. If corn is planted next year that area has the potential to be amazing. I don't know about giant bucks, but the cover, terrain, and the right food source should attract more deer. More deer during the rut should equal more bucks showing up.