Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ford 6.4l

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So I have a friend offering me a great deal on a Ford Crew Cab F250 XLT with the 6.4l diesel. 60k miles and under $20k (his payoff).

I know the 6.0 was a POS and they tried fixing it with the 6.4 liter. I know some of the potential issues that are easily fixed (oil pass through, water seperator).

What say ye TOO?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Two biggest issues I have heard on a regular basis.
Seems to collect excess water in the water separator. Need to drain on a regular basis. I have heard many different reasons as to why but don't really know for sure.
2nd issue I have heard frequently is that it makes oil. Actually gets fuel in the oil. Something to do with regeneration in DPF doesn't burn all the fuel and leaves fuel in cylinder which seeps past rings into crankcase. They recommend 5000 oil changes versus the 10,000 recommended by Ford.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Run away. I don't know a single person who has owned a 6.4L who hasn't had major issues. New engines under warranty that were replaced but still not right. Horrible mileage. I would buy a gasser before I owned a 6.4L Ford diesel.

MandRroofing

In the woods
I own a 2009 f250 6.4...i have had no problems.bought it with 45k miles now it has 217k on her and she's still runing great.I actully just bought a new bed for it due to rust.my goal is 400k miles...my good friend is a diesel Mechanic and servises a guys ford with 600k on it!.Regularly service it, you just have to take care of of it.like anything