Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Antlerless deer

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Shot a deer tonight. Thought it was a doe, it had the smallest little antlers I’ve ever seen. Less than half inch.

I followed the tagging system as I should and read my regs.

That’s an antlerless deer correct and I can still shoot a buck if blessed with opp?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok....I hate not knowing stuff without 100% I figured I understood right but I hate not knowing.

Hate shooting a young buck. But it happens I guess.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Do you think it was a button buck breaking the skin or a year old buck with very little antler? I had one running around early in season that was a year old with “spikes” less than half an inch.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Do you think it was a button buck breaking the skin or a year old buck with very little antler? I had one running around early in season that was a year old with “spikes” less than half an inch.

Spencie- to be honest I was wonder that myself. It didn’t have noticeable buttons on his head. Head looked like a doe but the antlers were barley coming out of the head. I think it was probably a yearling that just didn’t develop? Maybe a testosterone issue?

Thank you all for kind words. It’s been awhile since I just went out hunting and said - I’m shooting some freezer meat. Felt good to shoot one, watch it run 25 yards and fall over dead. That’s when bowhunting is really fun!

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The one I saw was a year old for sure. I’m not sure if it’s a genetic thing or because there are now so many young does being bred in winter. Another oddity baiting/feeding is bringing to deer hunting. Very late fawn bucks are going to be up against the 8 ball come their first winter. If they survive it the last thing that spring/summer nutrition is going to go towards is antler growth.

Congrats on the harvest.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congratulations on the deer Al! Whatcha been up to? Pretty busy? Good luck the rest of your season hunting for a buck TOO....:smiley_clap:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Congratulations on the deer Al! Whatcha been up to? Pretty busy? Good luck the rest of your season hunting for a buck TOO....:smiley_clap:

yea buddy! I took a hiatus as I have been very busy between work, married life and hunting every time I can.

My cousin harvest a nice buck off a new part of the farm (family bought joining land this past summer). I am chasing a few larger bucks and have passed some nice young ones, I just can't get it done on a big one!

IMG_3187.JPGIMG_3188.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The one I saw was a year old for sure. I’m not sure if it’s a genetic thing or because there are now so many young does being bred in winter. Another oddity baiting/feeding is bringing to deer hunting. Very late fawn bucks are going to be up against the 8 ball come their first winter. If they survive it the last thing that spring/summer nutrition is going to go towards is antler growth.

Congrats on the harvest.

AHH, this is a very interesting topic! I have noticed this as well that does are being bred at all different times. I have some fawns that will show up the following year looking large in size and others will bought have spots come season.

Dr. Grant Woods talks about how if a fawn can reach 65-70lbs the first year they will actually come into estrus - I would imagine that with food plots, feeders, baiting, etc. This is increasing the number of deer hitting that target weight allowing them to go into estrous in non ag areas where in the past, on natural browse, they wouldn't have hit that weight.

This is just speculation but something I have considered/wondered.

When you decrease the deer herd it does create better food for the remaining deer. Thus pregnant does are in better shape thru the winter/spring and fawns to grow faster in the summer. Like AT said if the fawns get a certain size they will come into estrus, but it is late in the year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
yea buddy! I took a hiatus as I have been very busy between work, married life and hunting every time I can.

My cousin harvest a nice buck off a new part of the farm (family bought joining land this past summer). I am chasing a few larger bucks and have passed some nice young ones, I just can't get it done on a big one!

View attachment 58662View attachment 58663

Good stuff Al, congrats to your cuz on his deer. Just keep after it buddy, a big boy will stroll by soon headed for food. Good luck!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Good stuff Al, congrats to your cuz on his deer. Just keep after it buddy, a big boy will stroll by soon headed for food. Good luck!

Thats the plan, been hunting over a few nice food plots and just not seeing the deer I would expect. They are getting in there after dark or when I am not there. I am going to sit a few good trails that lead to the plots this week down in a bottom and one is top of a ridge, hoping that will work.

My cousin killed this buck above on a "top of the ridge plot". It is a natural pathway for the deer to cruise from a few thickets, into an oak/persimmon flat. I came in with the bush hog and made 1/10th of an acre plot and the deer are hammering it! 8 or 9 does in one picture! He hunted that buck 8 times I think before he finally came up out of the thicket around the plot on the bench and he killed him at 20 yards. Love it when a plan works, I was stubborn and decided to try to kill another buck all year that I had a few daytime pictures of but he hasn't repeated any movements- that is what makes it gosh dang hard!