Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Little Freak Nasty Euro Mount

steveOh

Dayton Area
On November 20, 2017, I arrowed this buck, and upon recovery I noticed that he had an odd shaped rack and a bad left eye.
DSC03057trimweb.jpg

It looked like the eye was missing, and there was green puss oozing out from the socket. I also noticed that there was what looked like a small portion of bone protruding from the skin between the eye socket and the left pedicle. I thought that maybe it was a part of a broken antler that was lodged in the socket. I couldn’t wait to get the head back from the meat processor and begin creating a Euro mount.
DSC03061trim.jpg
After I removed the hide from the skull I discovered that it wasn’t a piece of antler sticking out, but that a part of the eye socket itself was broken and bent upward and out of the skin.
DSC03085web.jpg

There is an extra layer of bone above the eye socket and it goes down the side. My guess is that some kind of trauma happened years ago, whether it was hit by a Buick or got into a fight with another buck I don’t know! I do know one thing though, deer are some tough critters, and that their healing power is amazing!
DSC03105web.jpgDSC03122web.jpg