Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Buck Cape

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
Anyone have a decent sized buck cape they would like to sell? Not sure if i need one yet but i might. I shot a buck opening day of gun season and couldn't find it. I got a text this Saturday saying they know who found it. I called the guy and sure enough he found it. He was kind enough to let me have the rack but now if i want to mount it i will need a cape.

Another option is to wait until next year and see if a buddy or someone local kills a decent buck, but isn't getting a shoulder mount that you could use the cape from. What about doing a European Mount? or if the antlers are already cut off the skull what about a kit like this. https://masterofskulls.com/store/skull-master-european-mount-kit-deer/ I have used this kit on a few deer and it works well. Alot easier than boiling. You can even get them with various designs.

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
Thanks for the comments. I'll figure something out. Just happy I was able to get him.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congratulations on getting your deer, he was a very nice one with character! It’s not the way we prefer getting them but it does happen. My buddy caped out my deer I got the first day of gun season as well and he had a very nice big head on him and looked to be 4.5 years old or so. We wrote down all his measurements and the info is inside the triple bagged trash bag and in my freezer. Was gonna keep it in case I needed it in the future. If you’re interested in it I’d just give it to ya! It is the Christmas Season....:pickle:

I’m in the Cincy area but will be in Zanesville all day Saturday and till noon on Sunday. If your interested I could bring it that far! Let me know....:smiley_coolpeace:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Congratulations on getting your deer, he was a very nice one with character! It’s not the way we prefer getting them but it does happen. My buddy caped out my deer I got the first day of gun season as well and he had a very nice big head on him and looked to be 4.5 years old or so. We wrote down all his measurements and the info is inside the triple bagged trash bag and in my freezer. Was gonna keep it in case I needed it in the future. If you’re interested in it I’d just give it to ya! It is the Christmas Season....:pickle:

I’m in the Cincy area but will be in Zanesville all day Saturday and till noon on Sunday. If your interested I could bring it that far! Let me know....:smiley_coolpeace:
Good stuff, Ric!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The only negative about the cape is he got gored in front of his left shoulder and he started having some hair slippage around the hole. My buddy Stacey is a perfectionist and said it should/could be fixed so what he says carry’s a lot of weight with me. I just couldn’t throw it away and wanted to save it.

Just letting you know I put the offer out there for you. Good luck in your search!

bonecollecter

Tuscarawas Co
Hey Ric, thank you for the offer I will let you know before Saturday that way you can take it with you. I have to make sure I can run to Zanesville Sunday before noon. I work Saturday so that's out. Thanks again.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hey Ric, thank you for the offer I will let you know before Saturday that way you can take it with you. I have to make sure I can run to Zanesville Sunday before noon. I work Saturday so that's out. Thanks again.

No problem! Just let me know, I pull it out of freezer Friday night and but it in my moms freezer till the handoff if you can make it.:smiley_coolpeace:

I can prolly stick around till 1 and I could leave it with my mom if you can’t get there till later so that’s an option as well. My bro Ron, might be around as well.

Last edited:

Fletch

Supporting Member
Damn nice thing of Ric TOO do... Offer up his cape that way. a lot of stand up guys on this site. As for the mark on the hide? That happens. My Illinois buck this year had a mark dead center on his forehead.. From fighting I assume. I have an extra cape from last year, but, that's not the deer I shot. So hes getting mounted as is, afterall that's the buck I shot. Again Ric, Gfeat Christmas spirit.. The deer gods will reward you with a giant Stark County buck next year.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Damn nice thing of Ric TOO do... Offer up his cape that way. a lot of stand up guys on this site. As for the mark on the hide? That happens. My Illinois buck this year had a mark dead center on his forehead.. From fighting I assume. I have an extra cape from last year, but, that's not the deer I shot. So hes getting mounted as is, afterall that's the buck I shot. Again Ric, Gfeat Christmas spirit.. The deer gods will reward you with a giant Stark County buck next year.
Ric's banned from deer hunting Stark county. We have a 170" minimum here, and he took a 165 2 years ago.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Congrats on getting your deer back! One that size around here, no body would give that rack up! I second the stand up type of guys we got on this site!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
BC, if you can make it to Zanesville this Sunday or want to use my cape be sure to let me know before I leave tonight. Prolly rolling out around 7-7:30. We’ll be there 9:30ish.