Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TC photos of mature buck vs coyotes

twireman

Kingston, OH
Just another reminder at how a pack of coyotes affect the deer herd. Appears to he a big healthy buck here. They nip and nip until he is worn completely out. Savages.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Crazy. Happens way more than people realize. You need a deer carcass and a dozen snares.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Saw it on FB and first thing that popped in my head was, what caused a mature buck to be taken down by a few yotes? Sick, hit by car? Just dont see a mature buck being taken down like that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Saw it on FB and first thing that popped in my head was, what caused a mature buck to be taken down by a few yotes? Sick, hit by car? Just dont see a mature buck being taken down like that.

They have no trouble killing adult deer I've never seen it happen with a buck, but have seen it happen with does. Multiple times, in fact. In late season, when times get tough, deer absolutely freak at the sight of a coyote. Early in the season they do not. I can only assume that's due to coyotes preying on deer more later in the year.
Coyotes kill adult deer by running them to exhaustion. They follow them at a steady trot. The deer run high speed in short bursts. Eventually, they do not have any bursts left. The first coyote I ever killed was doing this very thing. The deer stood with her head hanging even as I walked over to get my arrow and take up the coyotes blood trail. That was the luckiest deer ever. If she hadn't happened to come by my stand, she would have been dinner without a doubt. That coyote was alone and only a 35 pound female. It doesn't take a pack just one persistent yote.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio

This was from this fall behind my grandpas woods out in the middle of the field. Buck was seen being chased on Saturday by a lone coyote and then on Monday morning spotted out in the middle of the field still alive and my buddy had to go out and put an arrow in him AFTER it jumped up and ran off! Another mature buck but I still think something was wrong with him, either sickness or ran down from rut. No signs of being hit by a car.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have also walked on a killing scene once hunting coyotes in Jan. The woods looked like some thing out of a movie! Blood soaked snow in a 50ft radius!!! Only about 80 yds from some ones back door too. I had pictures of it but not sure if I saved them to the computer I will have to look.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I have also walked on a killing scene once hunting coyotes in Jan. The woods looked like some thing out of a movie! Blood soaked snow in a 50ft radius!!! Only about 80 yds from some ones back door too. I had pictures of it but not sure if I saved them to the computer I will have to look.
Same here, less than 100 yards from my mother in-laws house. Blood everywhere​ and a 2 year old doe laying dead in the field with her rib cage completely ripped open.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Brock is spot on. They will simply run a mature deer to exhaustion. Look at that buck in the pics gasping for wind.

I had 2 yotes chasing bucks that had been chasing a hot doe earlier this year.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
When I was working in TX on a rig out in the desert a free roaming cow was hit by a truck and laid on the side of the road, in 3 days there was nothing but bones and hide from yotes. I was working nights and would go out to get a sample and you could hear packs of them howling.