Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New phone time

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking for a new phone. I'm not an Iphone guy. Looking for an Android platform. I have a Samsung S5 I think. Maybe an S4? The Verizon manager said the new Google phone is the way to go if you like the Android platform. Claims it is the most bang for the buck right now. Adds $12-14/mo for 2 more years. The Samsung S8 adds $33/mo. They claim the Google phone will impress me. I don't know. Not a big fan of Google having access to everything about me and everywhere I go. Then again, who am I kidding? I'd say most phones will do this. Anyone else shopping phones lately? Thoughts?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have a hand me down Verizon Samsung S5 Android that's giving me problems. The charging port on the phone won't work so need to charge my battery in a old phone and switch everyday. At least the old battery is good also.
The phone does all I need to do and Google just fine.
My DIL wants a new updated phone and I can get her present phone and may cost me about $150 to buy out her remaining contract so she can keep the phone.
A slight problem of having free cell phone service from my son. LOL

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My sister in law has one of those Google phones, but I don't know anything about it. I've always stuck to the droids.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had Android for years... Just switched to an iPhone SE... Love it. Small yet extremely capable.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Been an iPhone guy for a while now and probably wouldn’t go back to a droid. Does everything I need it to do.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have the Google Pixel. Had it since July. I really like it. Being in the phone business I have tried them all. This phone is probably my favorite so far. They all seem to have things I like about them and a few things I don't like. The Google so far fits me best.

I have not tried the Pixel II yet. I like the Android platform better than iPhone so I will probably stick with the Google phones when it is time to upgrade again in a couple years.

The pros for the Pixel are;
Camera, it is made by Google so it gets updates before other Android's, everything seems to run seamlessly.

Cons;
Charger is type C which I like better but had to replace all my chargers since they were all micro USB so had that extra expense.
Battery life is ok but not great. Most phones have quick charging anymore so it's not as big a deal.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I have a hand me down Verizon Samsung S5 Android that's giving me problems. The charging port on the phone won't work so need to charge my battery in a old phone and switch everyday. At least the old battery is good also.

Hey Frank - I was also having an issue with the charging port on my phone. I took an old toothbush and scrubbed at it a bit, then blew it out with some air. Works great again now. Must have just had several years of pocket-crud up in there.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have the S8. I have notjing to compare it to, as its my first smart phone. I do like the size of it compaeed to other phones i see. My wife has the pixel, after six years of Iphones. She loves the pixel way better she says

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good info all. I appreciate it. I guess it is the "Google Pixel II" which is the special. Even so, if people.have been happy with Pixel, I'm sure the II is fine. I've liked my Samsung though. Hmmm. . .

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Good info all. I appreciate it. I guess it is the "Google Pixel II" which is the special. Even so, if people.have been happy with Pixel, I'm sure the II is fine. I've liked my Samsung though. Hmmm. . .
One other thing I like about the Google over the Samsung. It does not come with a hundred preloaded apps on it. For some people they may like all the Samsung apps. I don't use them so it's nice not having to weed through all of them.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
iPhone has way better security than android and they don’t keep data on you like google. I had an Android will never go back. One reason is I have a MacBook and iPad and they all work together great.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
iPhone has way better security than android and they don’t keep data on you like google. I had an Android will never go back. One reason is I have a MacBook and iPad and they all work together great.
They definitely hook you like that. IPhone, iPad, iTunes, Mac, etc all work together real nice. Once you slip down the rabbit hole of Apple I can see how it would be difficult to go back. I just don't want to start that. My wife is already sucked in. Lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You can get most all of the Google/Android apps for iPhone and vice versa these days. Cross compatibility isn't really an issue anymore. I have an iPhone and still enjoy my favorite apps that I grew accustomed to on my Droid. I switched to an iPhone because I started liking the iOS more and more as I used my iPad mini 4. Also, it's getting harder and harder to find a "small" Android phone with decent battery life. I work outside and need to be able to put a phone in my pocket comfortably. These giant "phablets" that are so popular now are simply not for me. My iPhone SE is small yet very capable and has excellent battery life. And I got one refurbished from eBay for 300 bucks. Verizon wanted $550 for the same 128gb phone.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ended up with the Google Pixel 2. Some cool features. Much of it tells me we can't go anywhere without someone watching or listening to us. This phone tells you what song is playing and who is singing it. Not an app. If the phone is on it comes across the screen whether screen is locked or not. That is a bit bothersome but it is what it is.

Camera is fantastic. Still setting it up and learning. Everything goes to Google somehow. Google pictures. Google drive. Etc.

Here are a couple pics. No flash used.me and Mom in the first one.Took her and the kids and wife to see lights.

Haven't had a good challenge for the battery yet.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Looks good Phil. It was nice talking to you. Hope y'all enjoyed the lights. I think you will like the phone. It is a little bothersome knowing they collect a lot of data.