Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Better late than never here’s my story!

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
I’ve always wanted to get it done early but honestly, I kinda wish I was still chasing this buck. I first started getting pictures of this buck in mid July. He would show up every few day either in daylight hours or middle of the night. All the way until the middle of September he was a regular. Then all of a sudden he vanished. I didn’t have a single picture of him for three and a half weeks until I pulled my card on a Friday, Oct 20th. The 21st I had high hopes but honestly didn’t expect him to show. I had hunted this stand for a month mostly on weekends without seeing a single buck. This place is a true honey hole and I normal see anywhere from 10+ deer a sit. Not in a day, just in a few hour sit.

So, after being in the stand for 15 minutes I heard a stick break from behind me. Normally this place doesn’t starting picking up until an hour or so after sunrise (don’t ask me why but over the last four years it’s been the trend). I saw the deer cutting through the brush and really started to get excited without know what it was yet. He stepped out at 15 yards broadside. It took me a second because I couldn’t believe it was my number one.

This buck went to lower his head and caught me at mid draw. I was stuck at mid draw which seemed to feel like minutes. It was probably no more than 10 seconds but I decided to keep drawing back with this buck bobbing his head up and down to try to place what I was. Thank god there was a distraction in the distance because he whipped his head around to see what was coming. That was his final mistake. I could finally put my hand to my face and settle the pin right behind his front shoulder. As I released, I saw that it was a good shot. I waited no more than 10 minutes (rookie move) but just wanted to go check out my arrow. I thought it was a pass through but couldn’t find my arrow or any blood anywhere.

This is where the doubt started. I literally called my dad and brother in law (Ryan). I hung out for 20 minutes and decided to walk up to where he crossed a road no more than 30 yards from my stand to see if I could find blood. I wasn’t going to try to push him but was looking for something to put my mind at ease. I looked up on the trail and saw blood about waist high just sprayed everywhere. I decided to take a few more steps. I looked up and twenty yards in the woods saw a big white belly. Words can’t describe how I felt but it was one of my top five experiences in my life! Big thanks to my brother in law for coming right out to help me drag it out. My dad (and rest of my family) for always being a phone call away and more excited than I am when I get a deer. Also, to all my friends and this page for the congratulations.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Great job Nick, really enjoyed reading this. Reminded me very much of the day I killed Character. Happened almost indentically other than my shot distance was 28-30 yards. It was October 21st as well. Congratulations again!:smiley_clap: