Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun safe locks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Who else has had issues with their electronic gun safe locks? Found out the safe manufacturer doesn't warranty the lock. Electronic lock only has a one year warranty and you need to contact this manufacturer to purchase a new one. My fear is it is more than just just the lock. I tried new batteries as suggested. Nothing. My fear is it is the internals. I sure hope not. I don't often use this safe. I certainly don't abuse it. Be hard to believe something internally would break.

Anyone else with issues on a safe before?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Don't have a key also? I never trusted electronic safes with batteries. All safes I've been told have a sweet spot in the door that can be drilled and throw the unlock lever. Have to furnish serial number and proof of ownership to mfg.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
It’s funny you put posted this,I spent last night googling and YouTubing gun safe locks! Some one NOT me has either thrown my keys out or missed placed them and I can’t find them. I am hoping mine is a battery issue! Gonna swap them out today, I get a red light when I enter my code. Lucky for me I had all my guns out when I moved it but now that I moved it, it’s sealed shut.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't have a key also? I never trusted electronic safes with batteries. All safes I've been told have a sweet spot in the door that can be drilled and throw the unlock lever. Have to furnish serial number and proof of ownership to mfg.
No key.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Isn't a key easier to pick?

And at the time, it's was a safe in my budget. Hadn't had one prior. Young kids dictated to buy a gun safe. Bought one in my range.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't think mine has a key either... I honestly don't know. In fact, I don't even know how to change the code. I should probably read up on it before I have an issue.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Isn't a key easier to pick?

And at the time, it's was a safe in my budget. Hadn't had one prior. Young kids dictated to buy a gun safe. Bought one in my range.

Probably, but my safes were more for the kids not to get their hands on vs some outsiders....

Man it's ironic you posted this Phil. I have the exact same style safe, electronic open only and no key back-up. I just replaced the battery last January, one that lasted for several years before needing to be changed (long laughable story with that one too!!!!). Last night I went to open it like I do every evening and it barely made a beep and of course it wouldn't open. No warning it was getting low or anything. That little panic mode set in as I rushed around the house looking for a battery. Had to borrow one from a smoke alarm to get it open for the time being. This definitely gives me a concern if it were to ever lock up for good.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Thanks for the reminder! I have a biometric gun safe that I keep my carry/home defense pistol in on the night stand. I know it still works as I just had it out recently, but we have moved since I purchased it and it still has the original batteries in it. Now I am wondering where the hell I put the key during the move. Better check that tonight when I get home! Thanks again!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks for the reminder! I have a biometric gun safe that I keep my carry/home defense pistol in on the night stand. I know it still works as I just had it out recently, but we have moved since I purchased it and it still has the original batteries in it. Now I am wondering where the hell I put the key during the move. Better check that tonight when I get home! Thanks again!

Probably put it inside it for safe keeping.... [emoji23]

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Always worried about the touch pad on mine but it seemed like a good idea at the time...
Next one will be a dial.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Check with the manufacturer on a key. Pretty much all of the electronic ones have a key hole behind the electronic keypad. Some ship with a key and some don't because they want to screw you over for needing to purchase a key.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Update: contacted a locksmith. He told me to drill it and repair was about $1600. HA!

Made another call to SecuRam. Had someone answer. Walked me thru some things. Told me I likely needed a new keypad. Combination, lock, brains are inside. Keypad is sort of like the keyboard on your computer. Throw away tool that can be swapped with a different one. He also asked how old. I guessed 5-10yrs. Likely closer to 10. He said the solenoids inside and lock are likely going to give issues in the future. Said it is wise to replace both. Also said to call with questions as they will do anything they can to help avoid having it drilled. Also said anything purchased can be returned if not needed.

I weighed it out. With the 20% discount coupon he emailed me, I'm out $150 to cover keypad, internals, and shipping. Over 10yrs, $15/yr maintenance? Eh. . . Not bad. IF it fixes the problem.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Also check YouTube to see if there is a way to defeat the lock. Every safe out there has a built-in alternate method, be it a key or locksmith secret like supplying specific voltage.