Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gun safe locks

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Also check YouTube to see if there is a way to defeat the lock. Every safe out there has a built-in alternate method, be it a key or locksmith secret like supplying specific voltage.
Yepper. Already did. Manufacturer couldn't tell me how to drill it unless I am a licensed locksmith. I bet youtube can if I search. I saw some vids but didn't watch them.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well it sounds like you will be able to get in to it. My friend was locked out of the gun club safe and called the safe maker and they walked him through drilling a hole in a special place on the door to unlock. I believe it was a Sentry safe with a dial lock.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well it sounds like you will be able to get in to it. My friend was locked out of the gun club safe and called the safe maker and they walked him through drilling a hole in a special place on the door to unlock. I believe it was a Sentry safe with a dial lock.
Hmmm. . . .if that is where I end up I'll be a youtube searching madman. I'm not dropping $1600 on a $650 safe to open it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Know anyone with a plasma cutter?

The vast majority of them are very vulnerable from the back and side. Flip it on its face and a Dewalt Grinder with a cutoff wheel is all thats needed. Cut a big square and get the goodies out. Check the next time you're in the store. Knock on the door or the front and it sounds good. Knock on the back or side and it sounds like a thin hollow cabinet. Thats why they all recommend bolting them down with the back to a solid wall or in a confined space.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The vast majority of them are very vulnerable from the back and side. Flip it on its face and a Dewalt Grinder with a cutoff wheel is all thats needed. Cut a big square and get the goodies out. Check the next time you're in the store. Knock on the door or the front and it sounds good. Knock on the back or side and it sounds like a thin hollow cabinet. Thats why they all recommend bolting them down with the back to a solid wall or in a confined space.

I'm not typing it out on a public internet forum the specifics, but I will say I have some real pretty pieces in there I don't want damaged. It would NOT be flipped on it's face. These are not all "brush beater" guns. Even just the sentimental value in them makes me want to deliquately extract them if needed. lmao

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Not trying to rub it in Phil lol.... Last night I went out got a new battery and bam! Mine is back up and running. Still don't know where those damn keys are though!???:smiley_chinrub:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not trying to rub it in Phil lol.... Last night I went out got a new battery and bam! Mine is back up and running. Still don't know where those damn keys are though!???:smiley_chinrub:
No worries. I'm happy for you. I hope my thread helps someone at some point. Glad yours was a simple solution. Leave it to me to have some crazy stuff like this happen. Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy had the same problem with his safe, ended up cutting a hole in it. He cut through the top.

Patiently (sort of) awaiting the new parts. Hope they show up today. I need to at least attempt to get into it. If not I will try to remember to take pics as I dismantle it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Did you find out if you can order a key from Winchester?
No. Never asked. Parts came today. New key pad didn't work. I had to work the cable to get any beeps on the new keypad. So I made adjustments and was able to get it to open. Once opened I swapped the cable between the lock and the keypad and put it back together. Now I have a brand new lock and keypad in the box and all I needed was a new wire cable which connects them.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No. Never asked. Parts came today. New key pad didn't work. I had to work the cable to get any beeps on the new keypad. So I made adjustments and was able to get it to open. Once opened I swapped the cable between the lock and the keypad and put it back together. Now I have a brand new lock and keypad in the box and all I needed was a new wire cable which connects them.

Send that fucker back.