Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Salt Fork Golf Course

shawnh

Hi everyone. Long time visitor - first time posting!

Headed out this afternoon to hunt at Salt Fork. Was fortunate enough to get selected for their controlled archery hunt. Both zones opened up this week so I am going to try my luck on the golf course.

Didn't see a deer during 2 1/2 days during gun season hunting at Salt Fork public hunting. Hoping this will be better, but walking in blind doesn't thrill me. My plan is to get settled in some woods that overlook the course - always see plenty driving through. However, so far my motto seems like it should be, Follow me if you want to take a nice walk in the woods. Follow someone else if you want to see deer.

Taking my son - I'm really hoping he gets a shot or at least some sightings. Took him last year to Salt Fork and I killed a deer at 8:30 on Monday morning of gun season. I told him it isn't usually like that. He believes me now...

Hoping for a couple hours tonight and a Sunday morning hunt. Any pointers? Anyone ever hunt this controlled hunt at Salt Fork before? I'll be on the ground. Sure would like to exercise the new crossbow the wife got me for Christmas last year.

Thanks.
Shawn

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Trying to remember the golf course and the beach, were they close by? It’s been a while since I’ve been there.... If they are I’d look at that area as it always had good numbers in that area....

shawnh

Went ok. Got to our spots about 3pm. Between my son and I we saw 15 deer between 3:00 - 5:30. At least two good size bucks and the rest were does. Everything we saw was just a little far too far away...

Went back today and didn't see a thing from 6:30-11:00. It was very windy and that didn't help matters at all.

In any event, it was the most fun I've had hunting in a while and my son wants to go back next weekend. He's 17 so I will capitalize on whatever time he wants to spend with me. Hopefully he will get one before the season is over.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like you had one good sit anyway. Hopefully you get something in range soon, but enjoying time with your son is the most important part.

nis1

Myself, my wife, and a buddy of mine all got drawn for the hunt in there but haven't had a chance to get in there yet. We were waiting until after gun when the north and south section are both open. My inlaws live in Cambridge so we plan to hit it a couple weekends in January and stay at their house since we live up north. I'll chime back in with a report once we can get some hunting in down there.

nis1

Curious if you ran into any other hunters while you were there and how close to the golf course you ended up hunting? I have a friend that has been drawn in years past and said everyone gets all hot and bothered about the course.

shawnh

We saw the same couple hunters two weekends in a row - nobody else. One of the guys shot a doe and all said they saw a few deer. We ended up hunting on the golf course - there are pockets of woods around the course and I stayed in the woods most of the time. Though I think it would be beneficial to hunt closer to the grassy areas in the late evening.

In any event, saw deer during the later afternoon but two sits in the morning and did not see a deer. I think this seems to be a more productive spot in the evening. I doubt I'll hunt the golf course in the morning again. The area directly across the road is also open by special permit and I may try that in the morning the next time around.

Overall it's not a bad hunt but it's no guarantee either. I hope to give it couple more tries over the next week or so.

Shawn

Buckmaster

Portage
Before your hunt gently place a carrot in one pocket and an apple in the other. You'll almost be guaranteed a deer. Some of them are almost tame amongst Salt Fork and you can hand feed them.