Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late Gun Season

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know... If the day time highs stay below 50 that's pretty good IMO. Warm enough to hunt comfortably, cool enough the deer don't mind moving, and cool enough overnight to let one hang. Trying to skin a frozen deer is no fun.

I don't know... If the day time highs stay below 50 that's pretty good IMO. Warm enough to hunt comfortably, cool enough the deer don't mind moving, and cool enough overnight to let one hang. Trying to skin a frozen deer is no fun.

I always remove hide as soon as possible and preferably when the deer is still hot. Makes it a whole lot easier plus the meat cools out alot quicker.

I was really hoping to have some snow on for the weekend to help with visibility.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
May not get out this coming weekend at all, my son and DIL are coming in for Xmas this next weekend and we’re doing the celebration then since they can’t make it for later in the month so it’s now or never...

Bigcountry40

With this arctic blast this week, I'm looking forward to walking on the ice in some marshes and putting the sneak on some deer.

Where you hunting Jim? I am still tossing around a few ideas, I'm still considering sandusky county public land, but will probably end up in East Central Ohio

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Where you hunting Jim? I am still tossing around a few ideas, I'm still considering sandusky county public land, but will probably end up in East Central Ohio

Honestly haven't decided yet. It'll depend on what my scouting reveals this week. I'll probably spend most of my time on private though.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'll be out. I was able to capitalize last year with that nasty ice storm. Weather looks to be 40 for the high here. Gonna go scout this week to see what fields there using me and Dad gonna set up on one. My grandma's not doing good dad's taking it pretty hard I'm hoping he will go out and get his mind off things for a few hours.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll be out. I was able to capitalize last year with that nasty ice storm. Weather looks to be 40 for the high here. Gonna go scout this week to see what fields there using me and Dad gonna set up on one. My grandma's not doing good dad's taking it pretty hard I'm hoping he will go out and get his mind off things for a few hours.
Good luck, sorry to hear about your grandma 😞

Jal5

Going out Sat. With my friend’s boy. Found a good looking spot on public land today overlooking a good criss cross trail and a huge set of rubs and scrapes about 100 yds away. On the ground hunt so it will be up close and personal!

On Sun. Will return to my tree stand looking for a good 8 pt that has eluded me. Late gun season has been lucky for me in the past.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Colder???

Amazing how much the temperatures differ from the southern part of Ohio, where my farm is, and the northern part of Ohio. Depending on which forecast you look at, 43/39 on Sat. Low of 28/30, (odd that the one that shows a higher day temp has a lower night temp.) 52/47 on Sunday.

I will have my 3 boys and 2 of their girl friends out so we will have the farm covered. Now if can get some meat in the freezer, horns are just a plus.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Amazing how much the temperatures differ from the southern part of Ohio, where my farm is, and the northern part of Ohio. Depending on which forecast you look at, 43/39 on Sat. Low of 28/30, (odd that the one that shows a higher day temp has a lower night temp.) 52/47 on Sunday.

I will have my 3 boys and 2 of their girl friends out so we will have the farm covered. Now if can get some meat in the freezer, horns are just a plus.
It's usually 5° colder give or take a couple up where I'm at than it is down south.

I just checked the weather and it looks like they are calling for 2-4" of snow on Wednesday thru Thursday. Fridays high is only 32, so we should hopefully have snow on Saturday. Saturdays high is now only 37 and Sunday is 46. Some rain PM on Sunday. I am so hoping to have some snow to hunt on for Saturday.