Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Maximum distance with Savage 220

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have some opportunities at 200yd shots where I am hunting tomorrow. I feel confident shooting 200yds. I have done so at the range, and in the military. I am shooting a Savage 220. I am simply not sure I am confident in the performance at these distances. I have the gun dialed in. I have a Nikon Slugmaster with BDC reticle. I have a stable rest where I am hunting. 50yd zero puts me 1.71" low at 100yds. At 150yds it puts me at 7.96" low. At 200yds it puts me 19.73" low. Whoa. Wait a minute. 20" of bullet drop? This got me wondering about the ballistics. Ft-Lbs of energy at 25yds is 1831, 1590 at 50yds, 1194 at 100yds, 898 at 150yds, and 710 at 200yds.

Savage 220
Slugmaster 3-9 x 40 with 4 circle BDC scope
Remington AccuTip 3" rounds

How far is too far? When we get into the science of it, how much energy do you feel is acceptable, adequate, and ethical? I sort of have my answer but I know some of you guys are much more knowledgeable than I am in this department. You might change my mind. I look forward to hearing responses.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Why can't you get any closer?

Wide open field. Unless I dig a blind down in like a foxhole in the farmer's field it isn't happening. I'm just curious the thoughts on maximum distances. Like I said, I know where my personal limit is in a hunting situation given my personal experiences. It is longer for coyotes than deer. lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Don't zero in at 50 yds. Look up zero at 100 yds which is normal for my shotgun and 44 mag sight ins.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't zero in at 50 yds. Look up zero at 100 yds which is normal for my shotgun and 44 mag sight ins.

Most of my shots are in bow range. 50yd zero puts me 1.7" low at 100yds. Shooting farther isn't something I normally look to do. I simply have the option in this location. If the buck does what I have watched him do several times, my shot today will keep me under 100yds. Or he could do what most bucks do and simply not show up. ha

Great video Brock. Looks like it is plenty of energy to do the job at 300. 200 shouldn't be an issue. Curious now how much drop they figured in. I need to go look it up. For the record: I had complete confidence at 150yds. I felt 200yds was probably doable. 250-300yds I wasn't sure there would be enough velocity and energy left (mainly due to my ignorance in long range shooting.) You changed my mind. My yardage will be shorter. Unless I am practicing at those distances, I am not taking that length of shot. 200yds is about all I can practice at without getting a membership to a range.

Lundy

I think a 300 yd shot with the 20 ga is irresponsible no matter what the outcome in this video.

Ballistics from the manufacturer mentioned in this thread is performed with a 24" barrel, the 220 has a 22" barrel. The 220 is a great gun but.................

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
We shot a 220 the other day of a bench. We used Hornady ammo. We sighted it in a 3" high at 100 and it shot about 8" low at 200. It hit dead on at 150. Id say you can shoot 170 point and shoot with a good rest. Accutips may shoot a little different.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think a 300 yd shot with the 20 ga is irresponsible no matter what the outcome in this video.

Ballistics from the manufacturer mentioned in this thread is performed with a 24" barrel, the 220 has a 22" barrel. The 220 is a great gun but.................
So just because my motorcycle "can go 160mph" doesn't mean I should unless I practice daily on a closed circuit course. Lmao

Those were my thoughts as well Kim. The Dett video is impressive. Not sure it is great for everyone to watch. I don't want to get lucky. I want a clean kill. The ODP post yesterday about a guy's biggest buck turned me off. Borrowed an unspecified 20g day before and shot buck in the eye at 165yds. Not real ethical in my eyes. Glad he got lucky and didn't just maim the buck.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Zero for 100, not 50 yds. Mine is zeroed at 100 and I'm only about 0.5-1.0" high at 50.

I think 200 yards is doable if you can perform the shot. I don't care for how the Accutips perform on impact though. Their expansion is pathetic.

runhunter

Zero for 100, not 50 yds. Mine is zeroed at 100 and I'm only about 0.5-1.0" high at 50.

I think 200 yards is doable if you can perform the shot. I don't care for how the Accutips perform on impact though. Their expansion is pathetic.

The BDC for that scope is based off zero being 50. If you zero for 100, then the scope/reticle is essentially useless. Using a normal crosshair, different story. I think I would limit shots to 100-125 yards personally. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Take all the factors into consideration, and if you don't feel comfortable, there's always tomorrow....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The BDC for that scope is based off zero being 50. If you zero for 100, then the scope/reticle is essentially useless. Using a normal crosshair, different story. I think I would limit shots to 100-125 yards personally. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Take all the factors into consideration, and if you don't feel comfortable, there's always tomorrow....

Good point. My bad. I didn't read close enough and didn't pay attention to what optic he's using.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Savage 220 next on my things to have. But I think I'd limit my shots to 150 yd. max. That's just my personal opinion as I'm not a ballistic expert. In one of your responses you stated "most of the shots are within bow range". So don't lose any sleep over that 200 yd. shot as it may never happen. I've been hunting a few years and have shot 2 animals at 100 yds or more, 99 percent are under 50 yds. But I like hunting thick areas and hardly ever hunt field edges. I do hunt one area in Illinois that I possibly could shoot 200+ yds. Would I??? NO. After 2 years hunting this spot I've adapted to narrow the gap by either getting closer to where they come out into this CRP or where they leave it. BUT.. Now I've created longer shots back towards where I originally was.. So did I gain anything? As Clint Eastwood once said: "A Man Has To Know His Limitations"...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Savage 220 next on my things to have. But I think I'd limit my shots to 150 yd. max. That's just my personal opinion as I'm not a ballistic expert. In one of your responses you stated "most of the shots are within bow range". So don't lose any sleep over that 200 yd. shot as it may never happen. I've been hunting a few years and have shot 2 animals at 100 yds or more, 99 percent are under 50 yds. But I like hunting thick areas and hardly ever hunt field edges. I do hunt one area in Illinois that I possibly could shoot 200+ yds. Would I??? NO. After 2 years hunting this spot I've adapted to narrow the gap by either getting closer to where they come out into this CRP or where they leave it. BUT.. Now I've created longer shots back towards where I originally was.. So did I gain anything? As Clint Eastwood once said: "A Man Has To Know His Limitations"...

:smiley_clap::smiley_clap::smiley_clap:

Well said. Many of you guys have posted some really solid stuff.

I am plenty comfortable out to 150yds. I am 90% confident I could make a solid, lethal shot at 200yds. I'm just not certain I want to take a 200yd shot. I know I do not want to shoot 250-300yds. Not at a live animal.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I have taken several deer in wide open cow pastures in ranges 0f 150 to 175 yards with a scoped Rem 870 20ga sluggers in a sitting position. I do practice a lot since sluggers are much cheaper than silly sabots at $2 each.Probably shoot 60 shots from Sept to gun season, Overall during the year do a lot of shooting hi powers since I reload.

too many hunters in OHio go out shoot 10 shots to sight in and do not practice enough to go beyond 50 yards They are too cheap to buy more high priced slugs.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have taken several deer in wide open cow pastures in ranges 0f 150 to 175 yards with a scoped Rem 870 20ga sluggers in a sitting position. I do practice a lot since sluggers are much cheaper than silly sabots at $2 each.Probably shoot 60 shots from Sept to gun season, Overall during the year do a lot of shooting hi powers since I reload.

too many hunters in OHio go out shoot 10 shots to sight in and do not practice enough to go beyond 50 yards They are too cheap to buy more high priced slugs.

I agree completely here. The video Brock posted was impressive. I'm not sure it is good for the general viewing public to see, unless they talked about their preparation in order to do this. Were they shooting daily? What was their method of practice prior to shooting? How many takes did they use? The "average" gun hunter who shows up with a credit card to buy the Savage 220 with nice scope and does nothing outside of having the box store bore site it in should NOT be taking this shot. Open sights with an M16 at 300m I was about 50% hit rate. With a scope, solid rest, and a little more time and practice shooting at 300m I believe I would have been much higher. 90% wouldn't be unheard of with regular practice. If I get a coyote at 200yds, I'm taking the shot with the 220. At a deer? Probably not under "most" conditions. Maybe a dead calm day, deer standing still, obvious injury in which it needs to be put down. . . I'm considering taking the shot. Under "most" conditions, I know my comfort/confidence level/ability.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
How many guys that said no have ever shot at a running deer? Not a ideal shot but if you want meat you have to put lead in the air. 200 is a poke but that gun is the right tool for the job.

I agree completely here. The video Brock posted was impressive. I'm not sure it is good for the general viewing public to see, unless they talked about their preparation in order to do this. Were they shooting daily? What was their method of practice prior to shooting? How many takes did they use? The "average" gun hunter who shows up with a credit card to buy the Savage 220 with nice scope and does nothing outside of having the box store bore site it in should NOT be taking this shot. Open sights with an M16 at 300m I was about 50% hit rate. With a scope, solid rest, and a little more time and practice shooting at 300m I believe I would have been much higher. 90% wouldn't be unheard of with regular practice. If I get a coyote at 200yds, I'm taking the shot with the 220. At a deer? Probably not under "most" conditions. Maybe a dead calm day, deer standing still, obvious injury in which it needs to be put down. . . I'm considering taking the shot. Under "most" conditions, I know my comfort/confidence level/ability.
Conditions and practice/skill level makes all the difference in effective range of any weapon. Also when pushing the end range of a weapon knowing your distance accurately is vitally important.

If a coyote comes out at 300 yards, I would be flinging lead.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How many guys that said no have ever shot at a running deer? Not a ideal shot but if you want meat you have to put lead in the air. 200 is a poke but that gun is the right tool for the job.
Never shot at a running deer. Walking deer? Yes. Never a running deer. If I had already shot it and knew I hit it poorly I probably would.