Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dog training tips or a good trainer?

thehuntingwoodman

So I took my beagle out for the first time yesterday to see how she dose in the field. I was quite surprised that with zero formal training she was quite able to track and flush two pheasants and a rabbit.

The disappointment came after the shots were fired, and she ran a mile back to the truck full tilt.

Any advice on getting her past loud noise fear, or a recommendation for a good field dog trainer to take her too near Cincinnati?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Has she ever been shot over before? If not, that was the worse way to find out....

Start with her being a hundred yards away and use a .22and see how she handles it... Work in closer in increments until she gets skittish and then try to get her used too that distance... Once she does move in some more... May take days, weeks or she could get comfortable with it sooner...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If she's already scared of gun fire, you've got an uphill battle ahead of you more than likely. You should never expose a dog to gun fire for the first time at close range, like a hunting situation. Always always always start far away and slowly work in closer over time. Hopefully you can get her over the fear. Unfortunately though the damage may have already been done.

HillBuck

Union Co
Tie her out on a chain, about 20', with a dog box for cover during the night. Place her feed bowl far enough away from the dog house that she has to almost stretch the chain or rope all the way out to eat. Whenever you feed her make sure you have a .22 pistol loaded. Each time she starts to eat fire off a shot. She will most likely run back in the dog house but she will have to come back out to eat. Do this about 6-8 time the first day. If she runs in the dog house after 8th shot on day 1 then take the food away and repeat on the next day. She will eventually get hungry enough that she will have to eat and will ignore the shot. It might take 3-4 days to work. It sounds crazy but I have seen it work on bird dogs before.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Tie her out on a chain, about 20', with a dog box for cover during the night. Place her feed bowl far enough away from the dog house that she has to almost stretch the chain or rope all the way out to eat. Whenever you feed her make sure you have a .22 pistol loaded. Each time she starts to eat fire off a shot. She will most likely run back in the dog house but she will have to come back out to eat. Do this about 6-8 time the first day. If she runs in the dog house after 8th shot on day 1 then take the food away and repeat on the next day. She will eventually get hungry enough that she will have to eat and will ignore the shot. It might take 3-4 days to work. It sounds crazy but I have seen it work on bird dogs before.

At this point I don’t think he’s got much too lose...

tracker 6

In a thicket
Those methods might work,but,too me are kinda extreme.Start out with loud noises,banging pans about ,slamming doors and eventually,from a distance some quiet.22 fire not from a pistol.All at feeding time,be encouraging with an excited tone in your voice.You are not going to fix this over night,if ever.Good Luck

Wmiller07

Guess I should consider myself lucky. I did no gun training with my dog and she was totally fine. Now when a gun goes off she's excited unless we miss. Then we get lots of whining and dirty looks lol.

Wmiller07

I think she is but we got her from my brother in law and he couldn't find the paper work. I trained with her everyday for a month and a half before her first hunt. She still likes to run to the birds before the command but other than that she is great. She has always been very Birdy. She is constantly scanning the skies.