Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington broke?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sad but not surprised. There will be more to follow right bwhind them. Maybe they should have taken the 300% increase in the price of .22 shells and banked some of it. Lol.

Sounds to me like they failed to see the change in our political environment and market saturation as a negative for their business and charged ahead expecting to maintain record sales.

Hopefully the below statement leads to some massive christmas sales.
"A backlog of unsold, unwanted firearms will force Remington to operate at a loss"

After buying an 870 a couple years ago i might give them half price for one.

Wmiller07

I can't remember who's sales flyer it is but I saw the new full sized handgun they came out with on sale for $219.

Everything they have made post 2001 is pretty much junk. Ruger would probably have gone the same way had they not abandoned bill rugers policies.

Didn't Remington just buy out a couple other gun manufactures in the past few years?

Bushmaster, H&r, and marlin in 2008. They closed and moved the original h&r and marlin plants in 2012. Hopefully marlin survives as their rifles are still in high demand.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
One thing not completely mentioned was opening new factories in the south with apparently inexperienced and maybe low hourly wages. As for Marlins, thats very true. No doubt foreign smmunition put some dent in sales. Companies like PPU for rifle ammo.
They have also introduced several new shotguns that may not be selling like the older 870's, 1100's and 1187. Hard to compete with guns made in "Turkey". I see younger guys buying Tristars not knowing where they were made, strictly for price reasons.

Remember too, Remington is owned by some conglomerate.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sad but not surprised. There will be more to follow right bwhind them. Maybe they should have taken the 300% increase in the price of .22 shells and banked some of it. Lol.

Sounds to me like they failed to see the change in our political environment and market saturation as a negative for their business and charged ahead expecting to maintain record sales.

Hopefully the below statement leads to some massive christmas sales.
"A backlog of unsold, unwanted firearms will force Remington to operate at a loss"

After buying an 870 a couple years ago i might give them half price for one.

Here you go. Rural King has a special a a Rem 870 Tactical with pistol grip and should stock for 299.99 after MFG repate.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Hopefully marlin survives as their rifles are still in high demand.

Marlin quality went down hill after Remington bought them. Tooling issues. Saw some customer reviews that mentioned tooling marks on the rifling in the muzzle. Most said it looked like tank tracks. Sucks because I am shopping for a .45-70, I like the sights and large loop on the marlin, but I'll probably buy a Henry due to better quality.

I've been a Remington fan boy for a long time, I have an older 870 and love it. Sad to see them go downhill like this.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here you go. Rural King has a special a a Rem 870 Tactical with pistol grip and should stock for 299.99 after MFG repate.
Not sure how I feel about a mfgr rebate from a company expected to file bankruptcy. Lol.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Marlin quality went down hill after Remington bought them. Tooling issues. Saw some customer reviews that mentioned tooling marks on the rifling in the muzzle. Most said it looked like tank tracks. Sucks because I am shopping for a .45-70, I like the sights and large loop on the marlin, but I'll probably buy a Henry due to better quality.

I've been a Remington fan boy for a long time, I have an older 870 and love it. Sad to see them go downhill like this.

My take on customer reviews is it's mostly BS. The picky and measly complaints are mostly stupid. I've seen many poor rating given on products because the USPS was a 1 or 2 late on delivery. Nothing to do with the poor products. Plus I think a lot of the positive reviews are spam installed by the manufacture.
Only review I look at and put any faith in are actual product reviews by a independent review company.
Anyway that's my IMHO.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
No it was the rp9. I heard their 1911s weren't bad.

I know a guy whose dad bought one. We were checking it out over the summer.
Just seemed to be loose fitting to me. The slide and frame had a little more wiggle than I like. The trigger was really stiff and gritty. had some feeding issues as well, it fed jacketed rounds ok, but got hung up on lead bullets. We polished the ramp a bit and that helped the feeding issue.

Maybe we were being a little critical though. I was comparing it to my ruger 1911, and my buddy has a colt.

Wmiller07

I know a guy whose dad bought one. We were checking it out over the summer.
Just seemed to be loose fitting to me. The slide and frame had a little more wiggle than I like. The trigger was really stiff and gritty. had some feeding issues as well, it fed jacketed rounds ok, but got hung up on lead bullets. We polished the ramp a bit and that helped the feeding issue.

Maybe we were being a little critical though. I was comparing it to my ruger 1911, and my buddy has a colt.

Maybe he got a lemon. I've handled a couple and they were very smooth with decent triggers.