Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Baiting

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Dump it...they will come.

5c2e918c58c75e522922c1a0b584e025.jpg

Beat you to it Brian....

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I do. Last time I made a heavy push to kill a buck with a bow over corn was January 2008, but it's worked wonders for putting my wife on deer with a gun. That's my main reason for doing it these days, but am still open to killing one for meat if need be, or shooting the right buck if he wonders along. The more disinterested I grow in deer hunting in general, the more I like a corn pile late in the year for ease of meat acquisition, especially when I can let the hang in the barn and slowly work it up.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I do but now that I think about it I've never shot a buck over one. But it's in the plan this year if I don't fill my tag next week and if we get the cold weather.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I'm planning on dumping 200 pounds of corn and putting up a feeder over Xmas weekend. I will set the feeder to throw once a day for 60 seconds which should make it last for 10 to 14 days (I have a small cheap Moultrie feeder).

I figure by the time I show up for ML season the deer should be aware of where it is and hopefully hitting it regularly. I don't plan on hunting directly over the bait though. I plan on sitting back about 100 yards in the direction I anticipate the deer coming from. My past experience is that deer, bucks in particular, like to hold back and hit it later in the day. Hopefully I can catch them in the staging area, but be close enough for a shot if they hit the corn.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I dumped some corn 2 years ago when my niece came for gun season. A flock of 40 turkeys hit it 2 times a day and the coons hit it at night.

Lundy

Yes baiting works very well. It does vary by location as to effectiveness. The later the season the better it works. I have had bunches and bunches of mature bucks over the years at feeders both day and night.

Lundy

Hunter11,

Love the picture. That is a strange camera angle and distance. Looks to be way to far for a game camera. Did you take the picture personally from the tree?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I dump the apples from under my trees in the woods rather than letting them rot in my lawn. When they are done, I am done. Some years my wife bakes with them. When she doesn't, I get more apples to dump. Not sure I'd call it baiting. More like: Not letting apples go to waste and destroy my lawn.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I dump the apples from under my trees in the woods rather than letting them rot in my lawn. When they are done, I am done. Some years my wife bakes with them. When she doesn't, I get more apples to dump. Not sure I'd call it baiting. More like: Not letting apples go to waste and destroy my lawn.
Pretty much where I'm at. I have a buddy with 8 trees. I help him keep his yard clean and I get apples. I did dump 50 pounds of corn this year. But when the apples dry up I'm done.

Bigcountry40

I don't think dumping corn does much for me in Western Ohio where there is 3000000000000000 acres of standing corn ( some guys I hunt with still swear by corn piles, but they never kill any wall hangers while the corn was still up in NW ohio, east and south east different story), I dump apples because I have 2 trees in my yard. I will try dumping corn in January to get my target buck to come in, if he survives.

Last edited:
I ran a feeder for a couple of years, but quit about four years ago. I found using the feeder made mature bucks feed at night. But, my feeder was one of the short tripod feeders and a deer could walk up anytime and spin the spinner to get corn. Even the taller feeders will attract birds that put corn on the ground. I see more bucks in daylight without the feeder than I did with it. I do run a TR from March thru Sept., but it doesn't attract deer in hunting seasons.

Bigcountry40

I ran a feeder for a couple of years, but quit about four years ago. I found using the feeder made mature bucks feed at night. But, my feeder was one of the short tripod feeders and a deer could walk up anytime and spin the spinner to get corn. Even the taller feeders will attract birds that put corn on the ground. I see more bucks in daylight without the feeder than I did with it. I do run a TR from March thru Sept., but it doesn't attract deer in hunting seasons.

We had this conversation like 6 months ago about mature bucks and electric feeders, like 95 percent of us Ohio hunter said the same if i remember correctly