Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is the law if a deer runs on the next property after shot in Ohio?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Gamewarden told me he cannot make the landowner give up the deer. But his uniform is a positive influence towards getting the deer. If still told no, explaining how said landowner is not legally allowed to take it, helps the retrieve on occasion as well.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Gamewarden told me he cannot make the landowner give up the deer. But his uniform is a positive influence towards getting the deer. If still told no, explaining how said landowner is not legally allowed to take it, helps the retrieve on occasion as well.

I don't see how it can be said the landowner can't keep the deer. It's found on his property and the landowner needs no hunting licence. I think that GW was blowing hot air out of his ass. Or is there a Ohio law stating this?
Not to argue it but it makes no sense to me as a landowner.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You are not allowed to tag a deer that another man shot. And you're not allowed to possess a deer that's not been tagged.

I understand that but finding dead deer on your property would be different as I see it. And the landowner just tags it. Me I would attempt to find out who shot the deer but if I couldn't I surely wouldn't let the good meat rot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I understand that but finding dead deer on your property would be different as I see it. And the landowner just tags it. Me I would attempt to find out who shot the deer but if I couldn't I surely wouldn't let the good meat rot.
Legally the landowner would have to call the GW for a salvage tag. Which would be an awkward call if the GW knew the landowner wouldn't allow the hunter to get it. Lol.

Hunter II

Just think of all the deer a landowner could “find” on his property every year. I guess it could reduce the need for nuisance permits.

I ran into this very situation on Wednesday evening. A buck I hit ended up going on to a property I've been told not to "step foot on". The only silver lining to this is that I highly doubt this deer will die anyways. I tracked him as far as I could on land I am allowed on, all I could do. This is the first deer I've not recovered in many years and believe me it hurts to know I blew it some how.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I ran into this very situation on Wednesday evening. A buck I hit ended up going on to a property I've been told not to "step foot on". The only silver lining to this is that I highly doubt this deer will die anyways. I tracked him as far as I could on land I am allowed on, all I could do. This is the first deer I've not recovered in many years and believe me it hurts to know I blew it some how.
Damn sorry to hear, Dick 😟

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was told that about a landowner once. I went and asked anyhow. (On my best polite behavior) I was granted permission to look but was given a time frame to be out or let them know.