Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is the law if a deer runs on the next property after shot in Ohio?

Hogmister13

Some states you’re allowed to recover the deer regardless of permission so I’m just wondering about Ohio? Protocall is always get permission but what if the landower will not let you?

Bobcat

Without written permission you’re not allowed to step foot on anyone’s land for any reason - including in pursuit of wounded game.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Try to do things right (i.e. call GW or Sheriff) and if that doesn't work, then that's were the law of the land supersedes the law of man IMO and a nighttime recovery with a good friend is in order.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As with anything in life, there's what the law says and then there's what works. I am NOT condoning trespassing but I feel that you should have all of the information to make your own decision.

If you do decide to say screw em go get the deer don't take your bow. Trespassing in Ohio is a fourth degree minor misdemeanor, the same as getting a ticket for a rolling stop at a stop sign. Just don't add a "hunting without permission" charge to that by taking a hunting implement.

If you ask first and he tells you no, then you have zero excuses if you get caught, its definitive proof that you knew you were wrong. Whereas if you have asked in the past, or have a strong believe that he will say no, and you go and get caught. Whell ignorance of the property line is not a legal defense, you still have the ability to be apologetic, pretend like you weren't exactly sure where the line was, and play up the emotional fact that you are just trying to make sure this deer you shot did not go to waste. You can look like someone who is trying to do the right thing and did not intend to break the law.

Thirdly. If you do decide to break Ohio's trespass law. Don't get caught. A landowner seeing someone who they think was you is not enough for Johnny Law to write you a ticket. " I don't know what he is talking about, I have been on my property all day, that could have been anyone he saw, matter of fact I think I saw someone too"

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Questions like this situation happen often when hunters decide to get permission on properties of 20 acres or less because somebody saw a big buck on a lawn. Its one thing to hunt, a very small property with a gun but bow hunting will end up with a dead deer crossing several properties, In the past two weeks someone arrowed a 4 point albino in Mahoning county. It ended up in a village forest where no hunting is permitted wandering around with the obvious arrow still stuck in it. It ended up dead a few days later stirring up the environmental crowd. The county warden basically said there was no of knowing whether it was shot in the forest or some private property outside the off limits forest. Who ever shot it should have had common sense not to shoot a 4 point with little chance of retrieving it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Questions like this situation happen often when hunters decide to get permission on properties of 20 acres or less because somebody saw a big buck on a lawn. Its one thing to hunt, a very small property with a gun but bow hunting will end up with a dead deer crossing several properties, In the past two weeks someone arrowed a 4 point albino in Mahoning county. It ended up in a village forest where no hunting is permitted wandering around with the obvious arrow still stuck in it. It ended up dead a few days later stirring up the environmental crowd. The county warden basically said there was no of knowing whether it was shot in the forest or some private property outside the off limits forest. Who ever shot it should have had common sense not to shoot a 4 point with little chance of retrieving it.
So people shouldn't hunt properties 20 acres or less with a bow, and only kill bucks with more than 4 points? I hunt one property that is 7 acres, guess I'm a dumbass.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've killed more than a few on 11 acres. And that 4-point could have wondered off a 100 acre parcel? At what point is a property big enough to bow hunt in your world? And how far should you hunt from the property line itself? I imagine as a gun hunter, you could never envision a scenario where deer would wonder across property line, stirring up the "environmental crowd" with a bullet wound in its face. Or through downtown leaving a blood trail through the gas station parking lot? That would never happen during gun season.

Come on man...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Trespassing is just plain and simple trespassing. Years ago I shot a buck and it went on the adjoining property and the owner refused permission to track it. I found out later the owner tracked the deer and eat it. At least the deer didn't go to waste.
Ask permission and if refused you know you did the best you could and move on.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Go ahead and trespass, it will only help with the relationship between hunters and non hunters
If said non-hunter would rather the deer go to waste than let you recover it, something tells me that relationship is already in the shitter.

Bigcountry40

So people shouldn't hunt properties 20 acres or less with a bow, and only kill bucks with more than 4 points? I hunt one property that is 7 acres, guess I'm a dumbass.

You are a dumb ass, but not because you hunt small properties, the deer I named Gary comes on a piece of property I hunt that is .5 half woods. If I shoot him, I know the surrounding farmers and will just go get him and beg for forgiveness later if need be. Hunting is hard enough already and if I need to get a deer, I am going to get that deer.

Im guessing majority of us already know who will give us permission to recover and who is a nazi, like others have said darkness + good friend+ flashlight+ beer =successful recovery

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
You are a dumb ass, but not because you hunt small properties, the deer I named Gary comes on a piece of property I hunt that is .5 half woods. If I shoot him, I know the surrounding farmers and will just go get him and beg for forgiveness later if need be. Hunting is hard enough already and if I need to get a deer, I am going to get that deer.

Im guessing majority of us already know who will give us permission to recover and who is a nazi, like others have said darkness + good friend+ flashlight+ beer =successful recovery

LMAO Spot on!!

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands

This!