Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Annual TOO Muzzy Hunt (Vinton Furnace): Discussion Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Wanted to float some ideas out there and see what you guys are thinking. We've traditionally done this on the Sunday (January 7, 2018) of the four day muzzleloader season at AEP. We can keep with that trend and try a new area of AEP this year. I've also thought about trying an entirely different piece of public ground and honestly, like the sounds of a legit muzzy camp where we meet up on Saturday at lunch, camp and hunt until guys want to go home on Sunday.

So who's coming and who has some ideas!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I'm down to camp, won't hunt but I can Damn sure tend a fire. Now who's got a rack for my fat ass to sleep on?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The Equine Area campground would be the ticket. I'll scope it out in the next week or so. My idea is to follow a long ridge and guys can take various vantage points off either side all down the ridge. Then a couple still hunters (need some serious orange for this role) can slowly hunt the bottoms on either of the ridge from S to N or visa versa. That's the style of hunting I grew up with. Kind of a hybrid drive/stand hunt. Should take 3-4 hours for the still hunters to make that walk. There's a few logistics I need to sort out yet, but I'll get back up there another 2-3 times and can sort that out before then.

Sounds like we're already trending towards a lunch time Saturday meet up, followed by hunt, campfire, hunt, lunch and part ways.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
The Equine Area campground would be the ticket. I'll scope it out in the next week or so. My idea is to follow a long ridge and guys can take various vantage points off either side all down the ridge. Then a couple still hunters (need some serious orange for this role) can slowly hunt the bottoms on either of the ridge from S to N or visa versa. That's the style of hunting I grew up with. Kind of a hybrid drive/stand hunt. Should take 3-4 hours for the still hunters to make that walk. There's a few logistics I need to sort out yet, but I'll get back up there another 2-3 times and can sort that out before then.

Sounds like we're already trending towards a lunch time Saturday meet up, followed by hunt, campfire, hunt, lunch and part ways.
Another Stroud's in the making!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Snow season. I'm out unless I hit the lottery, which I don't play, between now and then. You guys could earn your "Arctic camping badge" in January. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This function ain't for the faint of heart. If being cold, wet, tired and generally miserable ain't for you, then I'd suggest you stay home! LOL.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country

Are you referring to the equine area campground @ AEP?