Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Coon Trapping Bonanza

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Here is another trick I learned somewhere to avoid using a setting tool.
Just use a piece of small diameter PVC to hold the spring half compressed.

Compress the spring on your leg and insert the PVC.

IMG_7264.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

Now it takes no effort to use the dog to finish compressing the spring and set the trigger.
This trick can be real handy if you are planning on setting a bunch of DPs by inserting the PVC in each of them before you head out. Very quick and easy to set.

IMG_7266.jpg

IMG_7267.jpg

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pretty dang good idea there bud. That's pretty useful if your heading out to set a bunch on a new line.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
And get some pics!
This is one of my favorites and was from the first night I ever set coon traps.
I just wonder what the dumb things were saying to each other as they moved down the line and got caught??? 'Ok you must have done something wrong, now let me show you how to do it!'

DSC07339.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Rannthrough some QC on the traps before heading out in a little bit to set. 2 of the 12 wouldn't stay set. After looking at it i realized the stamped dog was kind of rounded on the end.

Side profile of the dog.

A few whacks with a hammer to flatten the tip of the dog and a couple scrapes with plier teeth and they set fine.

Top profile after flattening.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Traps set. Used a big marshmallow pushed on the trigger then some smaller ones inside and around the trap. Was hard to find and read sign with all of the leaves that have fallen recently. We shall see. I question the pulling power of the marshmallows but guys say they kill them on em. Just don't seem to have the oomph to pull them over a distance. We shall see. Maybe I'll add some fish based bait tomorrow.

Ended up using clear plastic cups as covers. I don't have enough of the big soup cans yet so they'll do for now.

Gordo

Athens County
I'd take the bait.

Going to be a fun check!!! Keep us posted.

I need some more shit to do in the woods year around basis. Setting coon traps could be a good one. Gotta believe it'd make some landowners happy also