Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 10/10/17 buck

rsmith

Last edited:

rsmith

Also, I️ forgot to add this part. Before I️ went out I️ had Muzzy trocars on my arrows but for some reason I️ had a gut feeling to put the DRT broadheads I️ have on my arrows that night. Well I️ take my bow outside and shoot a couple at 60, 40, and 20 to see how they fly. They fly spot on and so I️ take them back inside and sharpen them up back to razor sharpness. I️ find that one of the bleeder blades one one of the broadheads is loose so I️ unscrew that one and out it aside. After looking at it I️ see it has a bend in it too so I️ call Dirt nap gear and ask them how I️ warranty these broadheads as they have lifetime warranty no questions asked. Well the guy named Mike tells me how and then asks how my season is going and we get to talking. I️ tell him about how for some reason today I️ had the gut feeling I had to put on the DRT broadheads I️ have and I️ just got done shooting them and they flew like darts out of my setup. He said well that’s a sign that you should be shooting them, hopefully you are able to kill a big buck with them tonight. Well sure enough I️ did kill a buck with the DRT’s which I️ thought was a pretty cool experiences. Just a little side note about how for some reason I️ had a gut feeling to put those broadheads on that night and with him wishing me luck I️ was able to put down this awesome buck.

rsmith

Let me start off by saying this, I️ was so shook up when this buck came in and after the shot that I️ couldn’t stop shaking for about 25 minutes after the shot and I️ could barely talk because it didn’t seam like reality. This buck was a deer I️ got pictures of just a few days before and the second I️ saw him on camera I️ though to myself “wow that is a awesome 6 point, I️ would totally shoot him given the opportunity” we’ll sure enough I️ did, and here is the story how.
The hunt started out very slow. I️ got settled in about 2:30 and it was about 19 degrees with a 5mph N wind, which was ideal. It just snowed that morning and a little the night before and it was the first time it got down into the teens so I️ knew I️ had to get out. I️ sat and waited as about 25 doves flew in and out of the plot, meandering around and eating scraps of corn. A stray cat came in and chased them off which was actually quite amusing. It was getting pretty dark at this point and I️ look at my phone and see it is 5:20. I️ check my messages and check Facebook and sure enough I️ put my phone in my pocket and look up and see a big bodied buck with a nice rack come walking in from the south east entrance into the plot. My heart starts pounding and reach for my bow. I️ take 3 deep breaths and draw back. His head is down and he is eating some corn standing slightly quartering at 24 yards to me so I️ try and settle my pin. Then I️ realize, it’s so dark inside the blind I️ can’t see my pin nor can I️ see my level. I️ start to panic. I️ go off instinct and start to pull through the shot like I️ practiced all year long, the shot breaks and I️ hear a thud. He spins to his right and starts to drop like a spine shot. I️ quickly grab another arrow but he quickly darts off the path that he came in on and stands just behind the blackberry bushes. I️ quickly gather my stuff and unzip the blind and slowly creep up on him. I️ can see him standing there but I️ think that I️ don’t want to jump him where he starts to run off so I️ slowly ease towards the shot and try and find my arrow. Then I️ hear him move to the east, I️ look and it looks like he has his nose to the ground and is making a scrape and is completely unfazed by just being shot. My heart starts to sink. I️ grab my arrow and head back to the car and call my girlfriends Dad and tell him everything and he says stay there I’ll head over. I️ call my dad and he says he is on the way as well. At this point I️ am so shook up from shooting this buck but also so worried I️ won’t be able to find this deer and I just wounded him and I️ won’t be able to find him. I️ look at the arrow though and see that it has no guts on it and has deep red blood, so red that my white fletching matches the pink ones on my arrow. My girlfriends dad shows up and we head back to the shot to see if there is a blood trail at all and see if he is bedded down close. I️ bring my bow with me just Incase a follow up shot is needed. We get back to the plot and find a red painted trail outlined in the snow. We find the spot where he first stopped 15 yards away from the shot just behind the bushes and see a pool of blood with bubbles all in it. We come up on the second spot another 15 yards to the east where he stopped again and same thing, huge pool of blood with bubbles in it. Then we turn to the right and there he is, not 15 yards from the last pool of blood. My emotions start coming out and I️ try to hold it together. I️ am just so excited at this point I️ get over to him and just kneel down and just say to myself “thank god he didn’t suffer”. We look and see where I️ shot him and I️ shot him about 8 inches back from the intended shot placement, and we look and see not one but two exit holes, one out the right rear leg and another out right next to his junk. But the size of the broadhead. Now I️ don’t know exactly what happened, but after gutting him I️ didn’t not hit lung nor liver so I’m still confused on how he died so quickly and how I️ have not 1 but 2 exit holes. I’m assuming I️ his him low, and it went through the stomach, out near his junk, then back through and out his leg cutting the main artery in his leg. Either way someone above was looking out for my and hear my prayers and the buck did not suffer and died quickly. This deer was a huge learning experience for me. I️ now know I️ need to practice more sitting down, I️ get a new sight scope with a light so I️ can see the pin and level in my blind, and also learn to take a little more time on the shot before executing the final shot sequence to make sure everything is perfect before that shot breaks because I️ feel that with my not practicing shooting sitting down, me not being able to see my pin or my level, and me slightly rushing the shot that is the reason for the bad shot. Either way I️ am so excited about this big 6. He has a impressive 18.5 inch spread and I️ honestly felt like I️ shot a 200 inch buck when I️ shot this guy. I️ was beyond excited to know he didn’t suffer and died quickly and that I️ put down this amazing buck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great write up. Plenty to learn every time we shoot a deer. Glad you are stopping to analyze, learn, and also that you are so stoked! Happy for you! Comgrats.

rsmith

i just realized all my upper case i’s are all messed up and look like I️. Sorry stupid iPhone has a glitch. But thanks for all the kind words guys. i am beyond proud of this deer.