Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

High Wind Hunting?

djohn9713

Heading out this weekend for youth gun weekend for the first time ever. Looks like the forecast is going to be high winds. One forecast for Saturday is gusts in the 60s. Any tips for hunting in winds this high? We will be in the mother of all towers.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You gotta hunt the 2 days. But I've seen very few deer on high wind days. But I never hunted in 60 MPH winds. I would say the deer will lay up all the time the high winds are blowing.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never, never had any luck hunting in high winds. Deer movement always seems to come to a screeching halt. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time hunting in that kind of weather. But if it's the only opportunity you've got, you have to go for it.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'd say...fugg that! I've never seen a whole lot of deer movement in high winds either, and I'm talking 15-25 mph gusts, not 60 lol.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've seen and killed deer in fairly high wind. Having said that, there is no way in this world I'd consider hunting in 60mph winds. 20-30, open fields. 60, go to the basement.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
The biggest buck I've shot was on warm windy day in November. My old house had a deep bottom behind it with a great bedding spot. The bucks would run in and bump the does. A day where I didn't even want to bother with hunting turned into the hunt of a lifetime. Get out there!