Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good read about killing a smaller buck or doe.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
What's that?

Mature bucks really don't tolerate each other very well (I am sure I am not telling you anything there), so therefore any given piece of ground will only support so many as their core area.
We would rather the bucks showing great promise remain on our farm and do not disperse to other areas because some lesser mature buck has staked his claim.
We wait till we feel they are at least 3 before we put them on our 'cull' list. Basically anything small framed/has 8 points or less at that age.
We never cull the 1 and 2 year olds as you never know what they will do at that age.
So we cull to try and control the local resident population as opposed to trying to change the genetic makeup of the future generations. Shooting the lesser bucks sure can't hurt that though!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Mature bucks really don't tolerate each other very well (I am sure I am not telling you anything there), so therefore any given piece of ground will only support so many as their core area.
We would rather the bucks showing great promise remain on our farm and do not disperse to other areas because some lesser mature buck has staked his claim.
We wait till we feel they are at least 3 before we put them on our 'cull' list. Basically anything small framed/has 8 points or less at that age.
We never cull the 1 and 2 year olds as you never know what they will do at that age.
So we cull to try and control the local resident population as opposed to trying to change the genetic makeup of the future generations. Shooting the lesser bucks sure can't hurt that though!
Good point. I'm wondering if that's what happened on the farm I killed mine on. I had pics of a real nice buck, then he disappeared. Not long after I killed mine he was spotted again.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good point. I'm wondering if that's what happened on the farm I killed mine on. I had pics of a real nice buck, then he disappeared. Not long after I killed mine he was spotted again.

I’d say you’re on too something... Larry’s spot on with that statement he made... Chad you e proved it in your sightings

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Hearing two piece fighting in the woods and then coming out all bristled up on that 8 point proves that he was a fighter. Just amazes me because that other buck is a tank.

Bigcountry40

Especially since you can't even type a sentence that makes sense.

Its hard to type coherently while in a teacher meeting (in-service day). I am also dyslexic, jerk! I swear it has gotten worse since I have had kids, the ole' brain can't compute fast enough!