Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Good read about killing a smaller buck or doe.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Jesse, while I agree there are less deer state wide, where I hunt Tuscarawas County, as where I think Just 1 more hunts as well, there are plenty and I MEAN PLENTY, of does in our county. I saw 17 does pile into a corn field last year and saw 6 more on my walk out. Obviously not like that everywhere, but we all have to evaluate our areas and hunt accordingly. I think your right tho, expectations are everything. I struggle every year when I don't meet my own and it can get disheartening with social media showing everyones kills and how easy it all looks. I have to remind myself if it was easy everyone would be doing it and there would be no fun left in it. It can be frustrating at times especially with all the time, money, and effort we all put into it every year.
I've said for a long time that the decimation impact takes longer to show up in some counties vs others. It would make sense that it would take the longest in one of ohio's top deer counties. Everyone thought at some point they had "plenty" of deer, until they realized there wasn't. By then its way too late.

I mean this in the nicest way, but keep telling yourself there are PLENTY and you'll be joining the rest of the state shortly. Thats the exact mentality they want you to have, and the harvest trends are going the exact way they want.

Tuscarawas County Harvest Totals.

2009-2010 season = 9,009

2015-2016 season = 5,039.

Just 1 More

Just because there is "plenty" does not mean you have to kill them all... high probability I wont kill a deer in Ohio this year .. The 2 Kansas does filled my freezer pretty good

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Still don't have to kill them all.. just take what you need... and "need" is probably the wrong word since none of us "need" to kill a deer to survive.
Sure helps off set the high cost of store bought meat, which we rarely buy anymore. And before anyone wants to toss in all the costs of hunting, I don't drive that far, I buy eBay rages, and my arrows last forever.

Just 1 More

Sure helps off set the high cost of store bought meat, which we rarely buy anymore. And before anyone wants to toss in all the costs of hunting, I don't drive that far, I buy eBay rages, and my arrows last forever.

LMAO... venison is very expensive no matter how you spin it. Half a cow would be a hell of a lot cheaper

Just 1 More

Time to go back to Kansas yet?

I can't wait... I'm already very excited about next year.. But... we have Dolphin, Tuna, Wahoo, Snapper, Cobia and many other fishes to catch before then ... Oh yeah.. and turkeys... can't forget the turkeys :smiley_cheers:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I can't wait... I'm already very excited about next year.. But... we have Dolphin, Tuna, Wahoo, Snapper, Cobia and many other fishes to catch before then ... Oh yeah.. and turkeys... can't forget the turkeys :smiley_cheers:
I don't drive far for the turkeys either, cheaper than buying a Butterball😎

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Ok I will bite. That shotgun will potentially kill hundreds of birds so the cost is actually minimum. Figure in that the same shotgun can kill not only turkeys but also ducks geese squirrel rabbits and intruders.

angelzd28

I think you misread my post, as I can kill as many does as I want. Ive killed exactly 1 doe in the last year 3 years and I only hunt T county. Trus me ive read almost every post on the deer decimation of Ohio, and I pretty much agree with 95% of what you guys say. I guess I should have been even more specific and stated the exact area I hunt is loaded with does.