Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I don’t get it!!!

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I just watched a hunting show and a so-called expert uses the bed of his truck to sight in his slug gun. They cut away before he shot and picked up with him in the stand. I know that if he shot, he destroyed the tail light on the other side of the bed....the camera was over his shoulder and he was lined up perfect on the other side of the truck. Why did they not use a bench? Then, this same guy takes an off hand shot across a field and hits the buck far back and in the spine. Obviously, he had no right to take a shot like that due to the fact that he couldnt pull it off. Why didn’t he have a mono pod? Then the next show, a woman sprays buck lure on herself!! You NEVER put lure on yourself...you want the bucks attention somewhere else, not on you. To top it off, she had a HUGE white Apple Watch on her wrist. May as well wave a white flag while on stand. I wonder what it takes nowadays to have your own hunting show? I’m amazed at the number of rookie mistakes that I see these “experts” make. I know it is tough to actually make a living from filming hunts but how do these wingnuts beat out the competition to land their own show?

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just like the gadget market is flooded with products that aren't worth their weight, the hunting "celebrity" market is flooded with folks that are nothing special. I bet the girl on that show was fairly attractive? As long as she's easy on the eyes, they'll fudge the rest...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No one "gives" a person a show due to their expertise. Hunting shows are simple; pay the Outdoor channel 100k, find sponsors to help cover the cost, video and edit to spec.... You're a hero or a zero. Simple.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
My thoughts exactly Brock. You don't need to be an expert, just have lots of money, or know how to get access to it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Everything in these shows is a re-enactment other than footage that actually SHOWS the shot as it is happening. Either for product positioning purposes or ego.
Yep! The vast majority of it is B roll footage shot after the hunt.

Hunting101

Mansfield
My thoughts are they r in a high fence some place and hunting a fence is lime walking out back and shooting a pet rabbit i mean deer are a little nervous but not really worried i have no respect for a high fence hunter that is bs but i have all the respect for the animal ... pisses me off hell go catch a huge buck put him in a febce walk into fence shoot him and call him a trophy??? Na i call them pathetic

Lundy

The really bad part of the hunting show and equipment promotion is that a large portion of today's hunters use those as there only educational resource to learn to hunt.

It is obvious that many of todays hunters rely much more on equipment and gadgets, miracle scents and sprays that on basic hunting knowledge. In their defense there are not a lot of available resources for a new hunter to learn the basics, they are limited in many instances to what they see on TV.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
No one "gives" a person a show due to their expertise. Hunting shows are simple; pay the Outdoor channel 100k, find sponsors to help cover the cost, video and edit to spec.... You're a hero or a zero. Simple.

Bingo. There are very few people that are paid hunting celebrities. Most are actually paying out of their pocket for their airtime, especially the lower caliber shows.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Bingo. There are very few people that are paid hunting celebrities. Most are actually paying out of their pocket for their airtime, especially the lower caliber shows.
So it really is like the home shopping network or infomercial! They pay to be aired to pimp their product.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So it really is like the home shopping network or infomercial! They pay to be aired to pimp their product.
They pay to be aired to pimp their sponsors. Sponsor pimping must reach a level that not only covers the airtime and show but also a living.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The really bad part of the hunting show and equipment promotion is that a large portion of today's hunters use those as there only educational resource to learn to hunt.

It is obvious that many of todays hunters rely much more on equipment and gadgets, miracle scents and sprays that on basic hunting knowledge. In their defense there are not a lot of available resources for a new hunter to learn the basics, they are limited in many instances to what they see on TV.
I believe you are very correct in your statement. I also think they rely on it as a educational source because that is the easiest form of an educational source. It doesn't take much effort to flip on the tube and sit there just soaking up all the stupidity.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
You guys see the news on Chris Brackett? His career is sunk. Video is out of him apparently shooting 2 bucks one after the other in Indiana in 2013. If true, what and idiot! Shot the second one directly up the ass. I do like some shows but could never tolerate his.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
You guys see the news on Chris Brackett? His career is sunk. Video is out of him apparently shooting 2 bucks one after the other in Indiana in 2013. If true, what and idiot! Shot the second one directly up the ass. I do like some shows but could never tolerate his.
So glad that douchebag is done!

HillBuck

Union Co
I'm thinking a show needs to be started for the real-world hunter. I could see a market for filmed hunts, filmed by hunters like many of us on this forum. Probably no money in it to making a living on but it would be neat to see the hunts of fellow friends. Hard part would be purchasing filming and editing equipment. I'm thinking of filming this weekend's youth hunt if I can get the equipment. I've gotten to a point where I would rather spend time helping others hunt and pass on my limited knowledge than hunt myself. Youth hunt is something I look forward to every year!