Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tracking advice

Zeke_19

Thanks guys. There was not much blood on the arrow and only a very light blood trail. The blood was light and watery. Nothing to indicate a fatal wound. We tracked for just over two hours then a heavy rain set in. I feel sick to my stomach but have a good feeling he’s going to be OK. Thanks again for all the advice and well wishes. You guys are awesome.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sorry to hear that man. It happens to the best of us. Just a part of the game, unfortunately. It sounds to me like you hit him through the brisket and missed vitals. A mule kick IMO is not always an indication of a good hit. It's just a reaction to them being hit somewhere up front...leg, brisket, lungs, whatever. The fact that he stopped, then stood there looking around was a big red flag. Deer that are hurt bad usually don't react that way. He could still die, but I'd bet he makes it. Never know... You might just get another chance at him this year. Just use this as a learning experience and move on. You will be a better hunter for having gone through this.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Over the last 40 yrs or so all the deer that mule kicked at the shot was liver shots. And sometimes there is no blood at all for 50-75 yds then just drops and large spots where it stopped. Some say gut shots mule kick also but I've never had a gut shot so can't say for sure.
Couple 44 mag liver shots didn't bleed until it dropped 50-75 yds away.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Sorry to hear that you didn't find him. Monitor the trail cams, maybe put some corn out to see if he's still around. Hopefully he shows up in the future.

Gordo

Athens County
I think the mule kick is a natural reaction from a rib or ribs being cracked/shot through.

Major Shock wave/energy being sent directly to the spine via the the ribs. All tied together.

The cleanest kill I ever had was when arrow and broad head blasted through the vitals, but managed to pass perfectly between rib bones on both sides.

A doe at under 20 yards. I thought I missed and couldn't believe it. She made a gesture as though she was going right back to eating acorns and that nothing happened. Next thing I know she wobbled a couple times and dropped dead under 10 yards from impact zone.

I couldn't believe it, but am certain that's what did it. Avoided any skeletal crap. All organs

Hasn't happened like that since, and probably never will. It was a fluke

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Sorry about your luck . I'd agree on the brisket hit . Especially if there wasn't gobs of blood where he stopped and stood . He's probably off after a doe somewhere as I type this

nis1

Are there any close water sources? I would check them before giving up completely.

Zeke_19

He did follow a creek bed for about 30 yards, then climbed a pretty steep hill before we lost the trail. Just pin drops of blood as he was climbing. Tons of cover down in the creek bed if he wanted to bed down. I’m going to try again today in the daylight if I can get permission for another piece.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think the mule kick is a natural reaction from a rib or ribs being cracked/shot through.

Major Shock wave/energy being sent directly to the spine via the the ribs. All tied together.

The cleanest kill I ever had was when arrow and broad head blasted through the vitals, but managed to pass perfectly between rib bones on both sides.

A doe at under 20 yards. I thought I missed and couldn't believe it. She made a gesture as though she was going right back to eating acorns and that nothing happened. Next thing I know she wobbled a couple times and dropped dead under 10 yards from impact zone.

I couldn't believe it, but am certain that's what did it. Avoided any skeletal crap. All organs

Hasn't happened like that since, and probably never will. It was a fluke
Awesome story, gordo. And I think I agree with your assessment, especially after hearing about that experience.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
He did follow a creek bed for about 30 yards, then climbed a pretty steep hill before we lost the trail. Just pin drops of blood as he was climbing. Tons of cover down in the creek bed if he wanted to bed down. I’m going to try again today in the daylight if I can get permission for another piece.

The big buck I shot in 2000 with a 44 mag at 35 yds ran 75 yds, jumped a creek and went straight up a steep hill. We had to basicly crawl up the hill holding on to brush. He died at the top of the hill. I hit him high in both lungs and only drops of blood.
This buck missed the training session where badly wounded deer don't run up hill and only down hill.

Zeke_19

Where are you located Zeke?

Licking county. Neighbor was great. Searched all morning and could not pick up the blood trail again due to the rain overnight. Searched his property in a grid to cover everything as best we could and no sign. I’m disgusted with myself and feel awful but I feel confident given the steep angle of the shot (deer was at 20 w/ angle rangefinder and I was 30 ft in a climber), not a great “thwack” sound now that I’ve had time to replay it in my mind, and lack of good blood or gut indication that the deer will survive. Thanks to all.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Licking county. Neighbor was great. Searched all morning and could not pick up the blood trail again due to the rain overnight. Searched his property in a grid to cover everything as best we could and no sign. I’m disgusted with myself and feel awful but I feel confident given the steep angle of the shot (deer was at 20 w/ angle rangefinder and I was 30 ft in a climber), not a great “thwack” sound now that I’ve had time to replay it in my mind, and lack of good blood or gut indication that the deer will survive. Thanks to all.
Try coming down about 5-10 foot in that climber. That's up there, and unfortunately stuff like this happens when you get shot angles like that.