Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Gear/Equipment Hoarding

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
FWIW- I was beginning to wonder if Joe was going to hunt this year. Lol
Been out for 4-5 sits so far. Didn't run cams or bait piles this year so I wasn't petal to the metal trying to catch a buck on his summer bait pile schedule durring early season.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I carried the Bow bat XL for my all day sit Saturday. Along with that I had a Boss Buck decoy, and an XL bag chair for the blind. 300yds across a plowed field. By the time I got in I thought I was carrying a 76 Catalina.
I honestly think the bowbat will carry everything I need. Plenty of storage in that thing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Been out for 4-5 sits so far. Didn't run cams or bait piles this year so I wasn't petal to the metal trying to catch a buck on his summer bait pile schedule durring early season.
Gotcha. You've been in stealth mode or I missed it I guess.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For hunts that only last a few hours, especially when I'm packing in a stand too, I don't usually take a bag full of gear. Just the essentials... Knife, tags, and that's about it. But for the all day sit, the bag full of gear is worth the effort to me.

Gordo

Athens County
Just threw some 'impulse' cheddar around. Think I got out for under $40. That's a major victory for EL Gordo. Hopefully the pack survives this season. It does say 'pro series' on it. Can't argue that.

Lmfao

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nice gordo. A man can never have too many screw in hooks.
Hell no, I've bought 2 in the last few days. Seems like I lose a couple every year. Two hooks that I am going to stick with though are the hawk and muddy hooks. They both have carabineer​s on them so I just clip them to my safety harness. Just got the muddy hook at rko on Sunday, it has a screw that allows you to adjust the hook, which is nice.

Gordo

Athens County
Hell no, I've bought 2 in the last few days. Seems like I lose a couple every year. Two hooks that I am going to stick with though are the hawk and muddy hooks. They both have carabineer​s on them so I just clip them to my safety harness. Just got the muddy hook at rko on Sunday, it has a screw that allows you to adjust the hook, which is nice.

I almost through down on the muddy one, but talked myself out of it

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Just threw some 'impulse' cheddar around. Think I got out for under $40. That's a major victory for EL Gordo. Hopefully the pack survives this season. It does say 'pro series' on it. Can't argue that.

Lmfao
I've had one of the field line packs Gordo. I believe it's a smaller version of the one you have. I've had it for I want to say 4-5 seasons. Some of the netting on the side pockets has torn, but that is due to having too many screw in hooks poking through them over the years. If I was hunting this year I was going to replace it, but you know how it goes.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Damn Steve! Not hitting the woods at all this year??? That sucks
Yea, just don't really know how to explain it. This past year has been several swift kicks to the to the crotch, and when it came time to get started on getting things ready it sounded more like work than fun. First time in over 20 yrs I haven't been hitting the woods.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Gotta have a good backpack TC.
I've always done without a backpack, but lately my pockets have been getting pretty full, and I don't feel like carrying my bow bat all the time. Might break down and buy that game plan gear full rut pack. For now I have a backpack I bought off Philbert a couple years ago at Mingo.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've always done without a backpack, but lately my pockets have been getting pretty full, and I don't feel like carrying my bow bat all the time. Might break down and buy that game plan gear full rut pack. For now I have a backpack I bought off Philbert a couple years ago at Mingo.

Buy it, you won’t regret it... Very good to have...

toke2

Same here. Every year I tell myself that I "have everything I need" now. Sadly, I'm never satisfied. There's always something else, something more. I can't say it's money wasted, though. Usually everything I buy has a purpose and gets used, and ultimately helps me be successful. This year I bought a nice rangefinder, which I've never owned, and some First Lite merino wool garments, which I fuggin love btw. The last three days I've hunted from legal shooting light to almost 2:00 pm. I've had a lot of time to contemplate gear. One thing that keeps popping in my head is heated insoles, like the Thermocells. I have to believe they be a game changer on these all day sits. But do I NEED them???

Yes.......you need them!