Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Gear/Equipment Hoarding

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've kicked around the idea of the covers for a couple seasons. Still haven't stepped up to the plate to purchase them. I'll be looking forward to any reviews you guys can offer.

Screw you Jesse and TF. Here you start a thread about hoarding. Now we have Jesse tempting all of us to buy more crap. lol It's like showing up at an AA meeting with a case of beer. We are all doomed to fail!!!!!:smiley_crocodile:
I've done all the tricks. Neck covered. Head covered. Core wrapped like a mummy. Change socks and the base of the tree and walk in with boots (Muck) rolled down so my feet can breathe. I just have pussy feet!
Me too

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm in the same boat.

Anyone have the old wool Army sweaters they wear under their gear? The one with the 4-6 buttons and tall collar? That has been my go to base layer over top of my other base layers. Love that thing. Joe is correct on wool.

Yep, and it’s a great under layer for cold days...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Same here. My entire body can be covered and warm, yet my feet, particularly toes and bottom of feet, will get cold as a mofo. It's bareable... I mean, it obviously doesn't stop me from hunting, but it's just flat out annoying. It's weird for me because I typically have really good circulation. Most times I duck hunt in frigid conditions I don't even bother with gloves... Even when pulling decoys. My hands are built Ford tough but my feet are soft like GMC (gay man's Chevy). Lol
I'm exactly the same way. It can be snowing and I'm breaking ice, setting decoys with no gloves, no problem! To Frank's point, even with dry boots and socks, my feet will get cold. Like JB said, it's bearable, but extremely annoying when it's 9AM and you still have 10 hours on stand to push through.

My one buddy bought a heater body suit and says it's the cat's ass. I just can't get passed the idea of being snuggled up and not being able to get out of it for a shot. I'd go back to being cold if that happened.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm in the same boat.

Anyone have the old wool Army sweaters they wear under their gear? The one with the 4-6 buttons and tall collar? That has been my go to base layer over top of my other base layers. Love that thing. Joe is correct on wool.
No, but I have one of these wool sweaters from Cabela's. It's an awesome base layer when it's really cold. 100% wool with a windproof liner. They are pricey but well worth the money in my opinion and they carry a lifetime guarantee. For anyone looking for a high quality mid-layer, I strongly recommend this sweater.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...urSCy9WNlgrfPbyG2qRoCbZIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll second that sweater and actually, thanks to an asshole puppy, I'll be buying my second one this weekend. DO NOT where it while you are moving however!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've kicked around the idea of the covers for a couple seasons. Still haven't stepped up to the plate to purchase them. I'll be looking forward to any reviews you guys can offer.

Screw you Jesse and TF. Here you start a thread about hoarding. Now we have Jesse tempting all of us to buy more crap. lol It's like showing up at an AA meeting with a case of beer. We are all doomed to fail!!!!!:smiley_crocodile:

My trolling has evolved. I have learned how to plant ideas in peoples minds.... LOL

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Best way I have found to warm up in a tree is to do four sets or squats for 25 repetitions. I highly recommend holding on to your safety strap when doing this. You don't have to do deep squats and 3/4 will do just fine. Regardless if you work out or not your quads and hamstrings are some of the biggest muscles on your body. This always gets my blood pumping and warms me up quickly. It is also a good way to loosen up after hours of sitting in the cold. You'll look like a dork doing it, but it works great for me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Best way I have found to warm up in a tree is to do four sets or squats for 25 repetitions. I highly recommend holding on to your safety strap when doing this. You don't have to do deep squats and 3/4 will do just fine. Regardless if you work out or not your quads and hamstrings are some of the biggest muscles on your body. This always gets my blood pumping and warms me up quickly. It is also a good way to loosen up after hours of sitting in the cold. You'll look like a dork doing it, but it works great for me.
That's my go to along with a couple of isometric stretches. I actually climbed down on Tuesday to piss, do squats, stretch and climbed back up. It saved my day.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You fuckers are going to laugh but I don't give a shit and you're a moron if you don't try it. The best base layer that I have found for my lower half is women's fleece lined leggings. The ones without feet. They are made out of the same material as most base layers design for hunting but they have the added benefit of a thin layer of fleece on the inside. You can pick up a pair for 10 bucks at Walmart which is about 1/5th of the cost of a base later from any of these hunting stores.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You fuckers are going to laugh but I don't give a shit and you're a moron if you don't try it. The best base layer that I have found for my lower half is women's fleece lined leggings. The ones without feet. They are made out of the same material as most base layers design for hunting but they have the added benefit of a thin layer of fleece on the inside. You can pick up a pair for 10 bucks at Walmart which is about 1/5th of the cost of a base later from any of these hunting stores.
Lmao. I always knew you were a cross dresser. [emoji23]. I'll stick to my merino wool.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll second that sweater and actually, thanks to an asshole puppy, I'll be buying my second one this weekend. DO NOT where it while you are moving however!
Yea, and don't let your wife wash it and throw it in the dryer... Unless you want your kids to wear it. I'm on sweater #2 right now. Lol

Wmiller07

From all the posts ive read on here I think more than a couple of guys want to see some pictures.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Lmao. I always knew you were a cross dresser. [emoji23]. I'll stick to my merino wool.
Nothing more than a $100 dollar pair of leggings that say "mens" on the package and are camo.

Ever wonder how women can wear dresses and skirts with leggins in the dead of winter and not freeze their clam off. Fleece lined leggings. 10 bucks each at walmart.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nothing more than a $100 dollar pair of leggings that say "mens" on the package and are camo.

Ever wonder how women can wear dresses and skirts with leggins in the dead of winter and not freeze their clam off. Fleece lined leggings. 10 bucks each at walmart.

Yea, yea, they're cheaper. But wool has better qualities than fleece. Naturally antimicrobial and moisture wicking. Plus warmth when wet. Women wearing leggings in winter are usually walking, either from one store to the next or walking to class... They ain't sitting in a treestand for 7 hours. I have tried as many forms of base layers as are available, including fleece. And none are as good as the wool.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Yea, yea, they're cheaper. But wool has better qualities than fleece. Naturally antimicrobial and moisture wicking. Plus warmth when wet. Women wearing leggings in winter are usually walking, either from one store to the next or walking to class... They ain't sitting in a treestand for 7 hours. I have tried as many forms of base layers as are available, including fleece. And none are as good as the wool.

Sheep seem to like it....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Errrrmm

Fletch

Supporting Member

What about panty hose??? Years ago it was known that panty hose kept your ass warm...

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Amazing how a scarf will keep the back of your neck warm and keeps the cold air out with the safety harness strap coming out the back of your neck i always had cold air creeping in on cold days like 5 degree days lol.
The scarf solved that problem.