Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Gear/Equipment Hoarding

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Better still use foot warmers. I hunted with those boot covers last January. It was 7°, 800 gram insulation boots, and those over top, feet still froze. It was 7° though lol
Fyi, basspro has these on sale right now for $29.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've kicked around the idea of the covers for a couple seasons. Still haven't stepped up to the plate to purchase them. I'll be looking forward to any reviews you guys can offer.

Screw you Jesse and TF. Here you start a thread about hoarding. Now we have Jesse tempting all of us to buy more crap. lol It's like showing up at an AA meeting with a case of beer. We are all doomed to fail!!!!!:smiley_crocodile:

Isaacorps

Columbus
My experience with cold feet is that it doesn’t matter how many layers or grams you have covering them, if you’re not moving they’re gonna get cold. Can’t beat good ol foot warmers IMO

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have found the trick to keeping my feet warm is to keep my head, neck, and core warm. When your body starts to get cold it goes into survival mode and restricts blood flow to the extremities like hands and feet. It does this so that it has plenty of warm blood to send to the brain and vital organs.

A cheap wool scarf from goodwill around your neck and tucked in your jacket works wonders, and keep you head covered in a toboggan. Just those two things alone will ward off a lot of cold feet issues. Besides insulating the neck the scarf keeps warm air in your core layers. Every time you move warm air is pushed out the opening of your garments through openings. The biggest is usually the neck area. This warm air is then replaced with ambient air that your body must warm. Insulating a house doesn't do any good if you leave the door wide open.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have found the trick to keeping my feet warm is to keep my head, neck, and core warm. When your body starts to get cold it goes into survival mode and restricts blood flow to the extremities like hands and feet. It does this so that it has plenty of warm blood to send to the brain and vital organs.

A cheap wool scarf from goodwill around your neck and tucked in your jacket works wonders, and keep you head covered in a toboggan. Just those two things alone will ward off a lot of cold feet issues. Besides insulating the neck the scarf keeps warm air in your core layers. Every time you move warm air is pushed out the opening of your garments through openings. The biggest is usually the neck area. This warm air is then replaced with ambient air that your body must warm. Insulating a house doesn't do any good if you leave the door wide open.

Borehead and I were just discussing this same thing today.... Invest in a good wool scarf.... It’s on my too do list lol

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Borehead and I were just discussing this same thing today.... Invest in a good wool scarf.... It’s on my too do list lol
Keep an eye out at goodwill. The best base layer i wear is a 50% cashmere 50% brushed wool sweater that i paid 3 bucks for. Gray and complete with pinstripes lol. Deer don't care if your under layers aren't camo. .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've done all the tricks. Neck covered. Head covered. Core wrapped like a mummy. Change socks and the base of the tree and walk in with boots (Muck) rolled down so my feet can breathe. I just have pussy feet!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've done all the tricks. Neck covered. Head covered. Core wrapped like a mummy. Change socks and the base of the tree and walk in with boots (Muck) rolled down so my feet can breathe. I just have pussy feet!
Same here. My entire body can be covered and warm, yet my feet, particularly toes and bottom of feet, will get cold as a mofo. It's bareable... I mean, it obviously doesn't stop me from hunting, but it's just flat out annoying. It's weird for me because I typically have really good circulation. Most times I duck hunt in frigid conditions I don't even bother with gloves... Even when pulling decoys. My hands are built Ford tough but my feet are soft like GMC (gay man's Chevy). Lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I'm in the same boat.

Anyone have the old wool Army sweaters they wear under their gear? The one with the 4-6 buttons and tall collar? That has been my go to base layer over top of my other base layers. Love that thing. Joe is correct on wool.

Jal5

The arctic shield boot warmers do work. In the really cold single digit season stuff some hand warmer packs in there on top of the boot. Toasty

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think the big problem with cold feet is walking in and getting shoes wet. Then with rubber boots walking in and sweat inside and get wet inside. Both ways we still have somewhat wet feet.
I don't walk that far but still sweat inside rubber boots and feel the cold from the moister. I use a SG sleeping bag with arms put over my insulated coveralls and that helps a lot. I believe insulating the somewhat wet boots or rubber boots from the cold air helps.