Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Increases number of scrapes?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Not sure what to attribute this to, but there are more scrapes on our farm right now than there has ever been. Not just a few more, like 4 times the amount of scrapes I normally see. My walk in tonight was 450 yards. I counted 20+ scrapes on the walk in and many were in spots I've never seen used for this purpose. Also, one of our most frequently used scrapes is 3 times the size as it is normally.

Anyone else seeing more scrapes than normal?

angelzd28

Ill be honest, ive also seen way more scrapes on the properties I hunt. Id like to hear some theories on this. I have seen scrapes in spots i have never had them and not just one, its usually 3 or 4 in a row. Glad im not the only one noticing this.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen average to lower number of scrapes. Much lower number of rubs. Larger scrapes? I've always felt those were like golden tickets. Smaller scrapes I've always believed were younger, more frustrated bucks trying to figure things out. I could be wrong.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I noticed that on a place I hi t this morning. 5 scrapes in the woods 20 yards behind the stand that have never been there before. I made a mock scrape there last year and it was never used. Not sure why there using it like that now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What?!? That's plausible. After all, the deer hired the chipmonks back in the 70's to run block on the leaf crunching gig. Why not get the turkeys in on the scam? rotflmao

I have the same thing going on. Never seen so many scrapes! In the middle of the big woods, field edges, everywhere. And WAY less rubs. Definitely weird. This is Western Coshocton County, on the Knox border. And BIG ones too. Had a 140" class on one I was hunting Friday but a doe came out and he took off after her just as I was lining up the shot!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Alright, in all seriousness before Frank 2 has a coronary, here’s my theory. This is based wholly on anecdotal evidence as it relates to our farm. I’m an arm chair biologist with mediocre skills afield, so take this for what it’s worth…

When we bought the farm in 2005, our 80 acres and the three properties with the most influence on my hunting (21, 52 & 295 acres respectively) were drastically different from a herd standpoint, but more so from a habitat standpoint. Fast forward 12 years and the habitat is 1000% better on all the properties, as well as some of those within the 640 acre section. This has helped the herd rebound, in addition to us not shooting does since 2010 and the guys hunting the 295, have held off for 3 years now. There is more restraint in the neighborhood now too, so we now have a banner crop of 3+ year old bucks and judging by my pics from the last 2 years, our buck to doe ratio is the best I’ve ever seen it.

So, all that said, I think the big increase on our place comes from a higher number of older age class bucks competing for prime ground with plenty of available does. In essence, there’s a literal pissing match going on out there right now.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would add, I have only seen 3 rubs. Every ounce of territory and scent marking has been scrape activity. There was even a 2' diameter scrape under a single blackberry shoot that was leaning over the road. In grass, so he worked hard to make that spot bare. Defies every other scraping scenario I have seen out there.

Just 1 More

Alright, in all seriousness before Frank 2 has a coronary, here’s my theory. This is based wholly on anecdotal evidence as it relates to our farm. I’m an arm chair biologist with mediocre skills afield, so take this for what it’s worth…

When we bought the farm in 2005, our 80 acres and the three properties most influence on my hunting (21, 52 & 295 acres respectively) were drastically different from a herd standpoint, but more so from a habitat standpoint. Fast forward 12 years and the habitat is 1000% better on all the properties, as well as some of those within the 640 acre section. This has helped the herd rebound, in addition to use not shooting does since 2010 and the guys hunting the 295 have held off for 3 years now. There is more restraint in the neighborhood now too, so we now have a banner crop of 3+ year old bucks and judging by my pics from the last 2 years, our buck to doe ratio is the best I’ve ever seen it.

So, all that said, I think the big increase on our place comes from a higher number of older age class bucks competing for prime ground with plenty of available does. In essence, there’s a literal pissing match going on out there right now.

:smiley_cheers:

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I am seeing more scrapes this year and the normal scrape locations have bigger scrapes. There is one spot that has consistently had a scrape year in and year out. This year though the scrape goes almost half way around the tree. It actually started out as three small scrapes and has now all been combined to make one huge one. This past Thursday a new scrape opened up not 10 yards from my stand. There has never been a scrape within 50 yards of this stand.

Similar to your scenario. We have not shot a doe on this property in several years and we have not shot a buck under 3.5 in at least 4 years. The neighboring property has been doing the same.

As for rubs we haven't noticed much of a difference seems to be the same amount maybe a slight decrease.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Since this is my first year hunting the property I have, I'm seeing scrapes everywhere I walk. I did a bit of recon yesterday & finally found a rub. It was nice size, but not fresh. On another note, I've got white oak, red oak, shag hickory, pignut, beech & walnut trees everywhere. I'm constantly walking on hulls. There's some sort of dark looking nut I see everywhere & I'm not sure what it is. I'll have to take a pic & share. The most odd thing off all, I have yet to see an actual acorn.

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I think you on it with the older age class bucks. The place I have found all those scrapes this year has 2 6 year olds and 3 4 year olds that are on it as a home area I believe.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Found 5 scrapes this morning along a field leading up too my stand, most of seen there in the past has been probably 2 and they were 100 yards apart.... All 5 are within 50yards of each other.... Saw a spike cruising them after I got on stand.... He may be one of the culprits...