Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut? Pre Rut? Where are we and what's the real difference?

thehuntingwoodman

Hi all.

Been doing a lot of research on what rut means, and what it really means for hunting. Sounds like it makes hunting a little easier as we would see more deer up and moving.

What I can't seem to figure out is a way to distinguish when this happens, or a hood set of behaviors that would identify where we fall this weekend.

My assesment, for what it's worth is that we are still pre rut, but rut is only a week or two out...

Am I reading the deer right?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It varies a bit per location too. Texas pre-rut and rut will likely not line up with Ohio. Even across the state it will vary a bit. Not as much. But a bit. In NW Ohio (in my areas) I would say it is pre-rut. There may be an early doe come in here and there. For the most part, I think it is a little early for most of the breeding. Bucks are starting to get more antsy. Younger bucks more visible than mature bucks. Every day from here out the intensity will increase. Might see some more mature deer moving in daylight hours or closer to daylight. As the rain moves out they will be checking and freshening scrapes. In another week (or less?) they will likely be ignoring them as they will be following estrous does. May not be receptive for breeding yet, but the does will start smelling real good to the bucks. It is about to get exciting!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Early pre rut from what I've been seeing. Small bucks messing around with does a little bit. Scrapes are being worked but not alot in most of my spots. A good week out is what I'm thinking. But this weather this weekend is gonna get some big ones shot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I guess I differ in opinion a bit. I consider "rut" to be the entire process, from the time the bucks start actively scraping and cruising to the time lockdown hits. Everything prior to that... basically the first month of bow season... is pre rut. Just my opinion obviously, but I think the rut has started this week. I've seen a huge spike in scrape activity and daytime buck movements, particularly midday movements, over the past 5 or 6 days. I watched a good buck cruising at 1:00 pm this afternoon while I was having a stand. There are phases of the rut and I think we're now in the initial stages.

Gordo

Athens County
I'd go a step further and say once bucks go hard horned it kicks off the early stages of the breeding process. Breaking off from bachelor groups and establishing there 'territory'. I'd say the end is when their testorene drops and they shed.

Mix that in with does going into heat and being ready to be bred till every last one is bred, and 'walaaa'. Da rut. Ha

Cardinalbuck

NE Ohio
Hi all.

Been doing a lot of research on what rut means, and what it really means for hunting. Sounds like it makes hunting a little easier as we would see more deer up and moving.

What I can't seem to figure out is a way to distinguish when this happens, or a hood set of behaviors that would identify where we fall this weekend.

My assesment, for what it's worth is that we are still pre rut, but rut is only a week or two out...

Am I reading the deer right?

If you want to get really crazy, try these 13 phases! :smiley_bril: https://www.druryoutdoors.com/tv/thirteen/phase-breakdowns.php

Of course these guys are marketing while hunting, so take with a big grain of salt. Like Hickslawns says, timing varies by location. If you do want to think about these phases, Drury says mark the actual breeding period in your area (lockdown/phase 7 for example) and determine the dates of the phases in your area from there.

To your question on behaviors, here's a place with written descriptions: http://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/deer/2014/08/12/terry-drury-on-thirteen-and-deer-phases

As a new hunter, I also did research. What I learned is that research helped me better understand what people were talking about, but you get more relevant information for normal (i.e. non-TV) hunters from the experience and observations on TOO.

Just 1 More

I guess I differ in opinion a bit. I consider "rut" to be the entire process, from the time the bucks start actively scraping and cruising to the time lockdown hits. Everything prior to that... basically the first month of bow season... is pre rut. Just my opinion obviously, but I think the rut has started this week. I've seen a huge spike in scrape activity and daytime buck movements, particularly midday movements, over the past 5 or 6 days. I watched a good buck cruising at 1:00 pm this afternoon while I was having a stand. There are phases of the rut and I think we're now in the initial stages.

I'd go a step further and say once bucks go hard horned it kicks off the early stages of the breeding process. Breaking off from bachelor groups and establishing there 'territory'. I'd say the end is when their testorene drops and they shed.

Mix that in with does going into heat and being ready to be bred till every last one is bred, and 'walaaa'. Da rut. Ha

:smiley_clap::smiley_cheers: