Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I Know Something

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Great write up. Bad shots happen. It sucks but you found him and meat didn’t go to waste. If I know you, your gunna enjoy this one, shoot some does, and start planning for next year. Hahaha.

Way to go bub!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks for sharing your story Chad. Like others have said. Bad shots happen, but your story has a happy ending! Congrats again.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Awesome! Well done Chad. I'm thrilled it worked out the way it did for you. Bad shots happen, you made good choices afterwards!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Very proud of you brother. Other than missing your spot, which happens, you did everything else right. You're a very deserving hunter and we're all happy for ya!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Very well written Chad. Your a quick study that is reaping the rewards, I knew if that deer stayed around it would be dead by November, that's just what you do. Thanks for sharing an experience that we all can take at least a little from to add to our bag of tricks in hunting these awesome creatures! Congrats on a another well deserved Big Buck!

toke2

Congrats on a great buck! Thanks for sharing the story- as a result I'm going to store your tracker's name and number in my phone. We've all made a bad shot, or we will. This is a great example of how to be persistent and use all available resources. Great job.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks a lot guys. All your kind words mean a lot to me. I just dropped him off at the taxi. What I like to do is pick a form closest to what the deer looked like prior to the shot. In this case he was bristled up, ears back, head down, and pissed off.

I think this pose is quite fitting for a bad ass like two piece. He just kicked some other bucks ass in the woods and was looking to fight the 8 point afterwords. One tough deer he was.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Chad... Great recap of your hunt, even better ending. Although we've never met I am a pretty good judge of people and know that you are a very ethical and good hunter. You texted me several pictures of bucks and knew it was only a matter of time before you connected. I was so happy to get a text Fri. morning that you scored.. As for the bad hit.... We all make them from time to time.. Even the Pro-Staffers on TV do it. They just really don't admit it.. On the other hand you did, it takes a lot to admit you goofed, shows your character.. Move on and be thankful the meat was good and did not go to waste. Again CONGRAT'S ON A GREAT BUCK...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Chad... Great recap of your hunt, even better ending. Although we've never met I am a pretty good judge of people and know that you are a very ethical and good hunter. You texted me several pictures of bucks and knew it was only a matter of time before you connected. I was so happy to get a text Fri. morning that you scored.. As for the bad hit.... We all make them from time to time.. Even the Pro-Staffers on TV do it. They just really don't admit it.. On the other hand you did, it takes a lot to admit you goofed, shows your character.. Move on and be thankful the meat was good and did not go to waste. Again CONGRAT'S ON A GREAT BUCK...
Thanks Rich, I hope we can meet someday!

Way to back out. Most people push deer too soon on marginal hits. No reason to go after a buck if you didn’t see it go down. It will still be dead whether you find it ten minutes later or hours later. Guy shots should be a minimum of 24 hours to track IMO.

Chad that was an incredible write up of your experience with your buck. Things don’t always go perfectly but you did handle it perfectly. Watching his reaction and being true to yourself in admitting it wasn’t a perfect shot is what put you on a path to finding him. The dog was the icing on the cake as you all learned from him along the track. Hell of a buck and you are one well deserving hunter. Congratulations!!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Chad that was an incredible write up of your experience with your buck. Things don’t always go perfectly but you did handle it perfectly. Watching his reaction and being true to yourself in admitting it wasn’t a perfect shot is what put you on a path to finding him. The dog was the icing on the cake as you all learned from him along the track. Hell of a buck and you are one well deserving hunter. Congratulations!!
Thanks Chuck 😀

00buck

Not sure how I missed this but congrats man he'll of a buck and you have some patience most would have been tracking him at first light hell I would have called off work

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Not sure how I missed this but congrats man he'll of a buck and you have some patience most would have been tracking him at first light hell I would have called off work
Thanks! It was easy to not call off since I started this new job 3 weeks ago😂.

Buckmaster

Portage
Nice account Chad. It sounded like I was there; though I was in Philly but with you in spirit. I knew you would find it after the original account. I'm happy you got to receive the welcomed experience of a inspired 8" hound dog. Their lives are built at ground level thus makes excellent track dogs. Always be prepared.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Nice account Chad. It sounded like I was there; though I was in Philly but with you in spirit. I knew would find it after the original account. I'm happy you got to receive the welcomed experience of a inspired 8" hound dog. Their lives are built at ground level thus makes excellent track dogs.
Thanks Ben. The talk we had helped calm me down😎