Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Rut Report. County, Conditions.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
What rut. Only seen 2 small bucks chasing all week. Everyone that killed one this week was by himself. Saw 7 does last night and not one had a buck with it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Closest sign of rut I've seen was this morning when a solid 2.5 year old 8 grunted once at a doe, then followed her back in to the thicket. Seem 3 fawns out wandering alone. I assume the moms are off giving it up.

nis1

It was an awesome evening in Stark county last night. Must've been a hot doe bedded on the field edge and a herd of bucks were interested in her. There were a bunch of 1 and 2 year olds and two shooters. Watched them run all evening through the binos. Wind was too swirly to make any sort of move on them. Planned an all day sit for today in hopes they'd still be around but no luck yet.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
The biggest buck I’ve ever seen while in a stand was last year on Nov 14. He was chasing a doe, she ran under my stand while I was climbing the ladder. I was able to finish my climb and get a shot. I shot right under him, had damn big buck shakes...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All I can say Is hunting during lockdown is a bitch if your not near the right doe! I’d almost say many of us have several does in heat near our areas which might attribute as to why all we’re seeing are young bucks and little to no mature bucks. I imagine once the big boys are done breeding their doe they and the other nice bucks staying nearby will all be back to covering some dirt looking for another one.

Just keep on keepin TOOzers, it’s bound to break loose soon....:pickle:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
All I can say Is hunting during lockdown is a bitch if your not near the right doe! I’d almost say many of us have several does in heat near our areas which might attribute as to why all we’re seeing are young bucks and little to no mature bucks. I imagine once the big boys are done breeding their doe they and the other nice bucks staying nearby will all be back to covering some dirt looking for another one.

Just keep on keepin TOOzers, it’s bound to break loose soon....:pickle:
Josh and I took the wrong week off lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Every year i threaten to say the hell with the first two week's of November and take the week before halloween. TOO harvest stats support this every year. The week before halloween the forum is packed with IKS threads and bucks, then it trickles off in early November and picks back up late in the second week and early in the third. But by far more bucks hit the ground the last week of October.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Based on road kill Theory, I drive from Athens to Columbus for work and The roadkill numbers are down but the size of the box being here has drastically increased in the past couple days. On my trip home this morning all three bucks that were fresh we’re all shooters.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I was a nice husband last night and didn't go out because my wife wanted to go out with her friends my buddy called at 5 and said he drove by where I was suppose to be and there was a giant in the field chasing does right in front of my stand. That will teach me to not go.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was a nice husband last night and didn't go out because my wife wanted to go out with her friends my buddy called at 5 and said he drove by where I was suppose to be and there was a giant in the field chasing does right in front of my stand. That will teach me to not go.

The life of a deer hunter lol....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always told the wife and family that when I'm deer hunting don't ask. There are another 49-50 weeks in the year to enjoy night outs.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
A few all day sits in the last week have been pretty fruitless for me and my buddy in Carroll County. Small bucks are showing up in small numbers, but no bucks worth launching a fletched missile at. Does have been scarce, but when seen most had fawns in tow. I did miss a huge gobbler Tuesday at 26 yards. Not only lost my arrow, but shattered my confidence in the Wicked Ridge. I hadn't missed a shot with my Hortons in many years. I checked the WR and she shot perfect in the backyard. Shooter error I'm guessing on the gobbler.

Shake that off Dick. Just a reminder that you are human. That's an awesome bow you have. It'll take good care of you in the long run.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Had a lone doe come running in today about 4:30, going crazy then took off. Few moments later a button buck came in going crazy. Only thing seen today, first sit in the new stand. Still getting pics of a few does with twins tagging along.