Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017 Rut Report. County, Conditions.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
2017 Rut Report. What County? Conditions?
I know little action has kicked up, but fireworks will roll soon enough!!
This is my annual thread. I am a regular reader, but don’t contribute much. Good luck to all, thank you for participating!

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Athens/ Morgan Co. Seeing rubs and scrapes starting to pop up around the farm. Only hunted twice. The road between Columbus and Athens had 5 new dead bucks yesterday. Mostly small bucks. Took my 5 year old out to sit in the blind this evening had does comes through at dusk. Few bucks on camera, haven’t seen them in person yet.

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Franklin County, My Parents own a couple acres located near Big Run State Park. My Mom called me Saturday morning and she said she was watching to 8 pt. bucks trying to kill each other..lol she said it went on for 3 -4 minutes and one walked away injured so sparring is done.. they are going at it!

Gordo

Athens County
Oh man...... buckle up.

Saw a snow flake in the forecast for the 30th(I think). Hope the weather gets nasty.

I've seen a couple small bucks looking worn out and have noticed a couple dead road kill bucks.

Hope that first hot doe comes a cruising by when I'm settled in

Gordo

Athens County
Could have tackled this little suburban up and comer.

Walked outside of weekly poker to have a smoke in downtown Athens and he could careless.

Hopefully a sign of things to come

IMG_2605.JPG

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Trail camera pull today is showing the younger bucks starting to trail doe groups. One or two new bucks have shown up. One likely shooter. One I'd pass. New bucks are new bucks. It tells me they are starting to cruise a little bit in the over night hours. Allen County

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
In wood county I counted 4 dead bucks on 75, nothing mature but definitely a sign of things to come. I also have several sequences of younger bucks pushing doe groups off my small food plots. This weather should put things into the next gear.

Isaacorps

Columbus
I’ve seen several young road kill bucks in the last week driving around for work. Saw a little forkie running around looking all kinds of confused this morning lol. Franklin county

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Saw roadkill small buck this morning in Springboro.
When I was hunting Athens last weekend there were multiple fresh scrapes on the path in the woods I was hunting, but I did not find fresh rubs. Go figure.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've seen very few rubs this year as well Dan. Have seen a couple little scrapes. Probably blow up with scrapes as this storm moves thru and we close in on end of October. This weekend and first of week will be prime time for hunting scrapes.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ottawa and Sandusky Counties : Plenty of rubs and small scrapes popping up. I've also seen a handful of young bucks roaming during daylight hours in the past week and a half. I have a feeling this cool weather this week is going to fire them up and get them moving even more.

J-Rod

Gallia County. Sat last night and awesome activity. Had 3 different sets of 1.5-2.5 year old sparring, had a nice 2.5 eight pt make a huge scrape in front of me, all the younger bucks were curiously chasing does around. Failed to see any mature bucks. It’s creeping up on us.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
7 different bucks checked a mock scrape I had a cam hanging over within the past 6 days... all between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. This cool weather really has them moving!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Just pulled a card today over a mock scrape. They've really started to work it within the last 4-5 days. I think I had around 5 different bucks on it.