Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pond care, ground cover, etc...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
So the in-laws bought a "country" place. Decent pond (that was a mess) and 7 acres.

Anyway going to post some pics and looking for recommendations.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Here is the pond. I used a pull through cat tail slicer that worked well. Place was overrun with them. Hoped in the water/bank and cut down all the junk trees/shrubs.

Anyway I cannot for the life of me remember the name if the spray tailored for them. Anyone know it?

Also need a good ground cover or grass for the wash area from the drive. Recommendations for it?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
.... had to do them as attachments not the normal way.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ground covers are funny creatures. Most are a pain to get established. Once established, a pain to maintain or get rid of. You could try some spreading junipers such as the blue rug juniper. They stay low. Would help erosion control. Wouldn't have to mow or trim much. They will become a collect all for leaves and such though. Just my initial thoughts.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Diquat (Reward) will burn stuff down very fast. Good product for a quick kill. Pretty much zero residual, though. Depends what you want. If you want residual control, spray an Imazapyr like Polaris or Habitat. But be cautious as it will completely nuke anything it touches, and WILL spread across water if there's any wave action.

The pond looks pretty shallow with gentle slopes. This will be a never ending war with unwanted vegetation...

My suggestion, let the cattails go. Then have me come down and slay the bullfrogs. [emoji3]

Hunter II

You can pull cattails by hand and they will float on the surface while you work through the area.