Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another Outfitter

Wmiller07

I don't hunt deer but the way things are going how much longer will the average guy be able to hunt? I remember my dad hunting years ago and it didn't seem to be this way. They went out and had fun. Seems like deer hunting has become something else.

MountNMan

Watch your property closely. He will have stands on property lines, etc and his hunters will be shooting deer on your property as well. I've seen it first hand. These so called " Outfitters " are ruining the sport. Before long, if you dont own property, you will have to hunt public or not at all. The ODNR says they want everyone to introduce youths into the sport, HA! IMO, they are only interested in how much money they can make, and could care less if any resident youths have a place to hunt or not.

Last edited:

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
Its terrible that our hunting heritage has fallen apart and has come to this, hunting has become a money greedy sport for a lot of outfitters and that's all it is to them, its not about the sport of hunting anymore its how much property they can suck up to make their wallets fat, i have to say that after hunting the great hills of Vermont for 40 years we don't see this here, reason being is because our state does not produce the numbers and the size that western states do, sucks you hard core hunters and land owners here have to deal with money grubbing so called sportsman, putting feeders out takes the sport right out of hunting, these deer become easy prey when they know these feeders spit out food at a certain time, is it really a challenge to take a deer this way, guys that pay big dollars to shoot a buck are lazy hunters in my book where is the sport in that, just my opinion.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I wouldn’t worry about it. If an outfitter can’t make a go of it in the OBBC counties of muskingum, guernsey and licking county, they surely aren’t going to be successful where your at. Patience. There is no way that an outfitter can survive on buying land and charging what they do. They will need to lease to be successful so I think you will be fine

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I wouldn’t worry about it. If an outfitter can’t make a go of it in the OBBC counties of muskingum, guernsey and licking county, they surely aren’t going to be successful where your at. Patience. There is no way that an outfitter can survive on buying land and charging what they do. They will need to lease to be successful so I think you will be fine

This is not his only business. It’s his hobby. This isn’t your typical trying to survive type of outfit. One of his hunters killed a 162” the other day.
I’m not in a bad position. I don’t have to sell my place. There is another property I’m interested in if I can sell mine though.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I really wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t think there would be a huge draw like other counties I’m not far from you and there are decent deer but not enough to support a huge operation

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
A smart business person doesn't invest large amounts of money into buying property and don't expect to make a decent return on the investment. Don't see someone investing a larger amount in business expenses than what the incoming income will support.
Only way to overcome this is to buy or lease big in property. Then it comes a bottom less money pit to just kill a couple deer per year. Unless you also go into the selling hunts to support your cash outflow.
Now someone who leases property and sells hunts only needs to cover their yearly expenses and return a decent profit to make it worth the bother.
I don't really see a money person making hobby investments and not receive a fair return. Most money people don't like to loose money but only make more.

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
A smart business person doesn't invest large amounts of money into buying property and don't expect to make a decent return on the investment. Don't see someone investing a larger amount in business expenses than what the incoming income will support.
Only way to overcome this is to buy or lease big in property. Then it comes a bottom less money pit to just kill a couple deer per year. Unless you also go into the selling hunts to support your cash outflow.
Now someone who leases property and sells hunts only needs to cover their yearly expenses and return a decent profit to make it worth the bother.
I don't really see a money person making hobby investments and not receive a fair return. Most money people don't like to loose money but only make more.

Very well said MK111.