Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When to smoke up?

tpierce

You guys who smoke up your gear, besides smoking everything up and storing it till you hunt, do you smoke up again just prior to leaving your vehicle? Or is that not necessary?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I smoke myself in the garage before the hunt. I then let the smoker roll on the way to whichever farm I'm hunting (all my spots are close enough) and I change there, then smoke up with my hunting clothes on.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Make sure you smoke up your sac, ass, armpits, any facial hair, your head hair, feet. Just smoke your whole body up lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't pre-smoke my clothes. I just smoke everything real good as i get dressed at my spot, myself included. Hair, hands, under my shirt, extra for the seat of my pants and crotch of my pants and hat.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Been wondering, how long does it take for the smoker to go out? Was curious about leaving it at the truck after using it right before going into the woods

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Been wondering, how long does it take for the smoker to go out? Was curious about leaving it at the truck after using it right before going into the woods
I dump all the burning wood chips out of mine and either piss on them or stomp them out before I head to the stand. I use to leave them burn, and that resulted in the bottom part of the smoker burning up.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Yeah your smoker will last a lot longer if you dump the burning chips out before you hunt.

And you won’t leave a literal smoke signal at the truck saying “come check out what’s worth stealing here” [emoji23] that was always my concern. I’ve always been intrigued by the smoke idea

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
And you won’t leave a literal smoke signal at the truck saying “come check out what’s worth stealing here” [emoji23] that was always my concern. I’ve always been intrigued by the smoke idea
Try it out. I guarantee you will smoke for life lol

Gordo

Athens County
I smoke the shit outta my clothes in a Tupperware pre hunt, then really let her rip once I'm about to hike in.

Until deer start to associate the smell of smoke with 'being smoked', there's no reason to do any different

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What everyone says. I smoke up before every hunt. Since I walk to my hunts on my farm I light the smoker, get 1st layer on and smoke it up, if 2nd layer smoke that up inside and out. Smoke up everything in my backpack, then fill the backpack up with smoke and close it. Walk slowly out back and stop often not to get sweaty. I also smoke the inside of my hunting towers couple times each season.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have tried it several ways this year....smoke them up in a tub and let it sit, smoke it up before I drive out, Smoke it up before I walk back, and No smoking at all.....I can't say one way works the best. I saw deer with all scenarios. I killed my doe with out smoking, but my clothes still had that smokey smell from sitting in my tub???? I do, use unscented soap and shampoo, deodorant, no cologne, and I shower and spray myself down with a scent killer spray, spray after getting out of the truck and spray myself in the stand. I think that makes a big deference in my scent control.

Let me ask you guys this, and not that I think any one is in this boat!!!

Could you educate a deer that smoke smell equals danger?? If you are caught moving in a stand or miss shots? I am just asking a question, I don't know how I feel on this!??

I pre-smoke everything, that way I can get the insides of jackets, pants, boots, long underwear, socks and all. Before a hunt is the next best time to get fresh smoke on everything, paying more attention to boots, gear, hands, hair, etc..