Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sharpening BH's

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
What is your favorite technique for sharpening your BH's?

For Magnus Stingers I have always used an Accusharp or another similar carbide sharpening system. The Accusharp works ok, but I've never been able to get them razor sharp. I'm considering buying a Lansky sharpener. Anyone ever use one? If so do you recommend getting a diamond vs the regular system?

For Wensel Woodsmans I have always use a file. I have good luck getting them pretty darn sharp.

Jamie

Ohio
I can get both Woodsmans and any two blade head shaving sharp with file and stones. actually, I use a progression of diamond hones and finish with ultra fine black hard Arkansas stone. now I own a Worksharp and it does an admirable job on two and three blade heads. A Lansky, Gatco or similar guided sharpening system works great, too. I still use my Gatco for some stuff, but the Worksharp is a real time saver once you get the hang of it. Once you get a good edge, it only takes a few seconds to touch it up with the Worksharp. one of the best investments I've ever made. I even sharpen my mower blades with it.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I use a couple diamond stones and finish up with a jewelstik on my Woodsman Elites.
The elites sharpen up real quick compared to the regular woodsman's.
Always started out on those with a bastard file.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I bought a Smith's system similar to the Lansky. Don't waste your money on it. I'll be taking it back soon.

I ended up sharpening m BH's with my old carbide sharpener. I am also going to look into a less expensive Work Sharp tool. The one I was referencing earlier was about $150, but I found out they make them cheaper.