Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Having your cake and eating it too

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Just curious if anyone hunts with both a compound and traditional bow during the same season.

For whitetails I was going to go straight traditional this year, but after some scouting I found a couple spots where the added range of a compound bow would be advantageous.

I can only hunt this area on specific days (organized hunts at Letterkenny Army Depot). The other hunts would be in an area where my recurve would be just as effective.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Guilty. I have even carried a crossbow, compound, recurve, longbow, shotgun, muzzleloader and rifle in the same season. I'm not biased. :)

Diablo54

Outside
That’s silly. Find a different stand setup for the recurve. Sounds like a lousy excuse to me. And the real answer is you don’t feel confident in your shooting. Either keep practicing and hunt with it and limit yourself yardage wise, or go to the compound.

Not trying to be an ass thunferflight, just answering your question!

Good luck regardless

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
That’s silly. Find a different stand setup for the recurve. Sounds like a lousy excuse to me. And the real answer is you don’t feel confident in your shooting. Either keep practicing and hunt with it and limit yourself yardage wise, or go to the compound.

Not trying to be an ass thunferflight, just answering your question!

Good luck regardless

No problem. I have taken your comment for what it is worth.

I remember when I too was young and had an elitist mentality.

Diablo54

Outside
No problem. I have taken your comment for what it is worth.

I remember when I too was young and had an elitist mentality.

Elitist haha. You got it wrong.... I do everything I can to not come off that way when talking to another hunter. I’m just saying, if you aren’t comfortable then the last thing you want when you draw back is to be worried about the shot because of your equipment.

What it boils down to is whether it is just about the kill or the journey/story leading up to the kill?

Jamie

Ohio
ok, I'll bite today. for some folks the endeavor of bow and arrow hunting is an "all or nothing" proposition, so to speak. if you want to hunt, take your stick. if you want to kill something, take your wheelie bow, your crossbow or your firearm. that's what I do. I like to hunt, quite a lot. my .41mag, however, never lets me down. :smiley_bril:

in the end, it all boils down to what is most important to you, and only you know what that is.

oh, and please hand over your elitist card right fuckin' now for even asking such a dumb question!

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ok, I'll bite today. for some folks the endeavor of bow and arrow hunting is an "all or nothing" proposition, so to speak. if you want to hunt, take your stick. if you want to kill something, take your wheelie bow, your crossbow or your firearm. that's what I do. I like to hunt, quite a lot. my .41mag, however, never lets me down. :smiley_bril:

in the end, it all boils down to what is most important to you, and only you know what that is.

oh, and please hand over your elitist card right fuckin' now for even asking such a dumb question!

lmao!!!! Let him have it Jamie lmao.... It’s expired anyways lol....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'll HUNT with my compound because that's all I have. Some day maybe I'll get a recurve, and maybe I'll use both in one season. There are guys that are hardcore traditional, guys that hunt with a compound, and guys who hunt with both. Neither is better than the other. I don't care what you hunt with, if you can get a whitetail within 30 yards or less without it knowing you're there that's an accomplishment.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hunt with what you like as long as its fun for you.

If they legalised claymores you can guarantee I'd blow at least one of them up.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Elitist haha. You got it wrong.... I do everything I can to not come off that way when talking to another hunter. I’m just saying, if you aren’t comfortable then the last thing you want when you draw back is to be worried about the shot because of your equipment.

What it boils down to is whether it is just about the kill or the journey/story leading up to the kill?

Sorry I gave up that thought process years ago. The journey/story up to the kill is just as exciting and meaningful regardless of the weapon you use.

IRT my shooting abilities, I'm pretty darn good with both. :smiley_coolpeace:

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA

Sorry I burned my elitist card back in 2014 when I killed my WY antelope with the Bowtech Liberty that Geezer had given me. I used to drink the "experience vs kill kool aid", but I know it's all BS. I will admit its a lot cooler (bragging rights and all) to shoot an animal with a traditional bow, trust me I have a nice collection of trophi:smiley_coolpeace:es on the wall taken with my "real bow" (Remember Real Bow from Bowsite? What ever happened to him anyway? LOL)

Oh BTW I still call crossbows String Guns through.... LOL

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been bitten by the recurve bug this year, and plan on hunting with it as much as possible... But I've got no qualms about toting my compound in the woods too. Hunt vs kill, experience, journey.... Yada yada yada. Just get out there and hunt and enjoy it.

Gordo

Athens County
I hunted with strictly traditional gear the last 2 plus seasons and thought to myself I'd never use anything else.

It was a shit TON of fun.

All the shooting leading up to season was rewarding on its own. I'd pace around my yard shooting at tennis balls under spot lights like a f'n maniac. Ha.

Picking new stand sites suited for trad gear was another part that was fun.

Felt great. It was like hitting the 'reset' button in terms of how I was hunting after years of getting caught up on running cams and haveing 'one' target buck I'd hunt. Getting the same 'fix' but by other means.

This year I'm rolling out with a xbow. Haven't hunted with one of those in a long long time, and I can't wait to climb up into a snipers nest with it. It'll be Fresh!

Feels to me like the same journey on a different path with no one to please but myself.

That being said........

This from 60 yards with a spitfire leading the charge. Giggity giggity. Ha
IMG_2581.jpg

Can't wait for a slob to check up at 30-40 yards this time around

Gordo

Athens County
I also have no doubt that I will get back into trad when life allows it and that itch needs scratched. Could be later this season or a couple years down the road. Whenever that fire starts burning