Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best Broadhead for Distance Shooting

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
I have been shooting the spitfire 100 grain broad head for many years now, my longest shot was 47 yards and i have to say they have performed flawlessly for me, very satisfied with these.

rsmith

I have done lots of test over the past 2 years on 70 plus yard accuracy of broadheads. If your bow is tuned to a T and your form is near perfect as well you won’t have a problem shooting great groups with broadheads at long ranges. I found for my particular setup that the Muzzy trocar, QAD Exodus, and slick trick standard flew identical to my field point out to 100 yards. Now that was my particular setup with perfectly matched arrows with high FOC, my bow tuned perfectly for my setup, and granting that I didn’t torque the bow at all and had a perfect release each time. I would practice practice practice if you plan on taking a longer distance shot. I use the reference that if I practice and am consistent at lets say 60, my effective range is out to 30 yards when hunting. I use that because if I’m dead on at 60 I will be lights out at 30 and have no problem being consistent at 30. Just what I do but things get real technical once stepping past 40 yards and you need to make sure your set up is dead on and your form is consistent each time.

P.S that was just fix blade testing, with mechanicals you really shouldn’t have a problem as I found 95% of the mechanical broadheads I shot at 100 yards were consistent with my field points, but that other 5% could very well be form error. Things past 60 get very technical when shooting broadheads.

Last edited:

Hoytman62

I have done lots of test over the past 2 years on 70 plus yard accuracy of broadheads. If your bow is tuned to a T and your form is near perfect as well you won’t have a problem shooting great groups with broadheads at long ranges. I found for my particular setup that the Muzzy trocar, QAD Exodus, and slick trick standard flew identical to my field point out to 100 yards. Now that was my particular setup with perfectly matched arrows with high FOC, my bow tuned perfectly for my setup, and granting that I didn’t torque the bow at all and had a perfect release each time. I would practice practice practice if you plan on taking a longer distance shot. I use the reference that if I practice and am consistent at lets say 60, my effective range is out to 30 yards when hunting. I use that because if I’m dead on at 60 I will be lights out at 30 and have no problem being consistent at 30. Just what I do but things get real technical once stepping past 40 yards and you need to make sure your set up is dead on and your form is consistent each time.

P.S that was just fix blade testing, with mechanicals you really shouldn’t have a problem as I found 95% of the mechanical broadheads I shot at 100 yards were consistent with my field points, but that other 5% could very well be form error. Things past 60 get very technical when shooting broadheads.

Thanks! Real good information!

rsmith

Thanks! Real good information!

You’re welcome. Might I ask are comfortable shooting at longer distances and practice long range often or are you just looking for a very accurate head for your setup? Also were you thinking fixed or mechanical as that plays a large role as well in broadhead choice.

Hoytman62

You’re welcome. Might I ask are comfortable shooting at longer distances and practice long range often or are you just looking for a very accurate head for your setup? Also were you thinking fixed or mechanical as that plays a large role as well in broadhead choice.

I just started practicing long range. I practice every day. I am thinking more on fixed broadhead.

rsmith

I just started practicing long range. I practice every day. I am thinking more on fixed broadhead.

I’ve noticed if I start off shooting a couple arrows close to the bag just focusing on the release and shot process then step back to 80 or 90 it helps my shots exponentially and makes sure I go through the shot process perfect at longer ranges. If you are going to go fixed stick with a smaller profile and just practice the perfect shot sequence every shot. Also make sure to take a 15-20 second break in between shots and not just fired shot after shot. Let your muscles recover for a second then shoot again.

Hoytman62

I’ve noticed if I start off shooting a couple arrows close to the bag just focusing on the release and shot process then step back to 80 or 90 it helps my shots exponentially and makes sure I go through the shot process perfect at longer ranges. If you are going to go fixed stick with a smaller profile and just practice the perfect shot sequence every shot. Also make sure to take a 15-20 second break in between shots and not just fired shot after shot. Let your muscles recover for a second then shoot again.

Thank you so much!