Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions on Electric UTV's

Just 1 More

I'm looking for real world experience on all electric UTV's.. Don't want to hear about your gas engine stuff.. I have a Yamaha Grizzly and a Rhino.. i'm looking for all electric, 4x4 .. I've been looking at the Textron/Bad Boy Buggie 2017 Recoil EV IS and the 2018 Prowler EV IS.. I like the idea of the independent wishbone rear suspension along with the 72v motors, wish they had selectable 2wd/4wd instead of full time 4wd but thats a minor thing and not a deal breaker.
I know the older BBB had their share of issues,,, Also the Polaris EV has had it's share of issues..
Anyone have any real input on any of these new EUTV's?

My brother has a bad boy all electric. I have replaced the batteries once, I think he had 1400.00 in batteries. Lead acid batteries are good for 5 years more or less. I am not sure what technology they are using for batteries now. Also we hunt hocking and Vinton counties in the hills it has to charged often. He carries a generator because if you are setting stands and using it all day up and down hills even to new batteries won't last. He now borrows my Polaris when he heads south. Again I don't know what the newer ones are like but the older ones are not much good where we hunt.
Greg

Just 1 More

My brother has a bad boy all electric. I have replaced the batteries once, I think he had 1400.00 in batteries. Lead acid batteries are good for 5 years more or less. I am not sure what technology they are using for batteries now. Also we hunt hocking and Vinton counties in the hills it has to charged often. He carries a generator because if you are setting stands and using it all day up and down hills even to new batteries won't last. He now borrows my Polaris when he heads south. Again I don't know what the newer ones are like but the older ones are not much good where we hunt.
Greg

I've got the Grizzly and Rhino for the rugged stuff.. I'm wanting something quiet. I know the old BBB's had a lot of issues.. I was really hoping someone might have some info on the newer ones.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've got the Grizzly and Rhino for the rugged stuff.. I'm wanting something quiet. I know the old BBB's had a lot of issues.. I was really hoping someone might have some info on the newer ones.

Wish I could assist. Buddy has one of the original BBB. It was a nightmare out of the gate. Seems as though it was repaired but not without major headaches. He vows to never own another. As stated, no input on the newer ones, but the originals did not offer much help. He had a lot of out of pocket expenses on a brand new machine. Hopefully they have improved in this area if you go that route. You should never have expenses out of pocket on a "warrantied" machine.

Just 1 More

Wish I could assist. Buddy has one of the original BBB. It was a nightmare out of the gate. Seems as though it was repaired but not without major headaches. He vows to never own another. As stated, no input on the newer ones, but the originals did not offer much help. He had a lot of out of pocket expenses on a brand new machine. Hopefully they have improved in this area if you go that route. You should never have expenses out of pocket on a "warrantied" machine.

Thanks Hicks, That's why i'm asking everyone I can think of.. I want to try to avoid as many issues as possible. Trying to do as much research as possible to make the right decision.

Looks like a good ride!! Do you have big hills you'll have to climb? Reading Phil's comments it makes me wonder, back a few years ago all the big names were using BBB and now you don't hear a peep from them. Makes you wonder if they ran into all the problems too.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like a good ride!! Do you have big hills you'll have to climb? Reading Phil's comments it makes me wonder, back a few years ago all the big names were using BBB and now you don't hear a peep from them. Makes you wonder if they ran into all the problems too.

Or BBB quit paying advertisers?

Just 1 More

I've got a big ridge behind the house. I loaded 6 bags of corn, 2 front, 4 back and took off up the hill like it was nothing.

Just watched a few shows this week that were all using the BB Recoil... I was surprised as to how many I saw. I know Michael Waddel and his group are all using them. Can't remember who else.

I've got a big ridge behind the house. I loaded 6 bags of corn, 2 front, 4 back and took off up the hill like it was nothing.

Just watched a few shows this week that were all using the BB Recoil... I was surprised as to how many I saw. I know Michael Waddel and his group are all using them. Can't remember who else.

Ha! Ha! Yeah that could be it Phil, that or because I haven't watched much hunting TV in a while too LOL!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ha! Ha! Yeah that could be it Phil, that or because I haven't watched much hunting TV in a while too LOL!
I get sucked in sometimes but honestly glaze over when the commercials come on or the hunters are pimping products.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
We have a HuntVe at the farm. Have had it 8 or 9 years now and it has been decent. One issue with the brake line getting pinched/cut do to the way they had routed it, and something happened to the motor controller once. Can't remember just exactly what it was, but it had to be taken in.
A few years ago it developed another issue with the motor controller. Basically the motors won't engage until you push the pedal down quite a ways, then it lurches forward (or back....) suddenly. We've just got to used to it, and won't worry about it till it completely breaks.

Just 1 More

We have a HuntVe at the farm. Have had it 8 or 9 years now and it has been decent. One issue with the brake line getting pinched/cut do to the way they had routed it, and something happened to the motor controller once. Can't remember just exactly what it was, but it had to be taken in.
A few years ago it developed another issue with the motor controller. Basically the motors won't engage until you push the pedal down quite a ways, then it lurches forward (or back....) suddenly. We've just got to used to it, and won't worry about it till it completely breaks.

You can get aftermarket controllers. Not sure what ones the Hunt V uses but I get a lot of info from buggiesgonewild.com .. You could also probably go straight to http://www.alltraxinc.com/ and get info

Just 1 More

if you get some treated yellawood and build you a frame, get two black gas pipes yay long and put some old tires on them. you can run a 12v battery powered belt and itll get you to where you need to go. ive used my home built side by side for years at a fraction of the cost. drug deer, hauls corn, goes about 25mph top speed and is super quiet. the boys at camp call it the meat wagon. just a suggestion or you can go drop $10,000 on a new korean made xuv pfffffffff..

Whatever works for you

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
if you get some treated yellawood and build you a frame, get two black gas pipes yay long and put some old tires on them. you can run a 12v battery powered belt and itll get you to where you need to go. ive used my home built side by side for years at a fraction of the cost. drug deer, hauls corn, goes about 25mph top speed and is super quiet. the boys at camp call it the meat wagon. just a suggestion or you can go drop $10,000 on a new korean made xuv pfffffffff..
We require a pic of this😂