Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Grand River wildlife area

Bowman

Being my area of Ohio is seeing EHD, thought I'd look for an alternate area incase? I know it's Public, but is it really worth going back, and taking another look?

I did spend a half day there and checked out three different areas and to be honest was not impressed. Just deciding if I should go back and spend more time looking? It's beautiful country, which got to hold some very good bucks on surrounding private areas with all the corn and soybeans, but just wasn't seeing Hunt Here on the park? And I also made it a point as the areas I checked bordered private with corn and soybeans, but still didn't see much sign, I know it's early for new sign, but very little old sign either. As compared to my area, I definitely see a lot of old sign, big rubs etc., and just didn't see it there. Just seems to me this land sees a lot of activity and keeps the deer on the surrounding areas? Thanks

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Have you looked around Lisbon? Just west of there are a couple areas that hold some decent population that doesn’t get hit hard until gun season....

Bowman

Have you looked around Lisbon? Just west of there are a couple areas that hold some decent population that doesn’t get hit hard until gun season....

My point was to get an alternate spot away from EHD areas if possible? When I was at Grand River Area, I did talk to a grounds worker who said they had no cases there so far, which is a plus, but as I said, didn't look that great to me.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The areas I referred too haven’t had any cases as well.... South of there and east is where the issues were...

Bowman

The areas I referred too haven’t had any cases as well.... South of there and east is where the issues were...

I guess you are referring to Private? which is tuff anymore, as most don't want you there, and those who do, let everyone and it's just like Public.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I guess you are referring to Private? which is tuff anymore, as most don't want you there, and those who do, let everyone and it's just like Public.

Scenic vista, zepernick, are just two of the areas I was referring too... Both are public.....

Buckeye79

NE Ohio
The grand river area is big and also produces some large bucks. It gets hunted hard by the local Amish community. I trap a piece of private ground which is surrounded by it. We always trap it in the late season but I've seen some phenomenal sign in there from the rut. I wouldn't be afraid to try it but you may want to take a pair of waders because it's wet.

Bowman

Scenic vista, zepernick, are just two of the areas I was referring too... Both are public.....

I know of them areas but never considered them because they are so small in acreage. Just figured if there are few other hunters in them areas, they would have the deer pressured enough with how small it is?

Bowman

Does anyone know how bad Brush Creek and Highland Town got it? Haven't checked it yet, but for those who know or hunt there, seeing deer there?

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Grand River" About six years ago, There was a guy from Cleveland who killed a deer with a bow, early on. he was on another forum. Come muzzleloader season he was shot dead in Gtand River. Strange thing was he was out on the first day of muzzleloader without a gun?????? or an orange vest?????. I remember the tv clip where they were questioning an amish teenager.
the murder was never solved. you can probably find zome info on google