Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer Processing Questions

thehuntingwoodman

As this is my first year and you all have been seriously helpful, I'll tap the vault once more.

What is the protocol for getting a deer processed? Do I need to call the processor before I've even killed the deer to line that up, or just call after I've completed the deer check process?

How long is the normal turn around?

Thanks in advance for any replies. You guys seriously have made my first year hunting a ton easier.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Most places you can just show up and drop off if it’s during normal business hours. Most also will take deer after hours during peak times. Just call your local processor and see how they do things. Depending on how busy they are you could have it back in a couple days. Good luck!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What he said. If i were you i would just stop by your local processor. They will be more than happy to give you a run down of the process, cuts, and special things they do like sausage etc.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Most places you can just show up and drop off if it’s during normal business hours. Most also will take deer after hours during peak times. Just call your local processor and see how they do things. Depending on how busy they are you could have it back in a couple days. Good luck!
Yep. Just depends on the processor. The one I use has a refrigerated trailer that you can drop it off at anytime fill out a paper and put a number tag on it and you are done. You will just have to call and see how they do it.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Yep. Just depends on the processor. The one I use has a refrigerated trailer that you can drop it off at anytime fill out a paper and put a number tag on it and you are done. You will just have to call and see how they do it.

Mine is the same

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Both the guys I use do the same if they're not home. Turnaround just depends on the size of the operation, they're own internal processes, and when you kill it. I can get one back in 2-3 days right now, but gun season might be over a week. My one guy will let the age for you if you request it and he has room in the cooler.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My processor does the same but not open later in the evenings. They also guarantee you get 100% of your deer meat back and not someone else's.
The other processor gives you your pounds of meat back as to how much your deer weighted. In getting summer sausage back you get 25 lbs and he just cut tubes off to give you your weight. Didn't like that way as I'm getting someone else's meat and I don't how well it was taken care of. I knew how my deer was taken care of.

thehuntingwoodman

This is a good point... anyone have any recommendations for sw Ohio? I'm hunting Cesar creek, and "live" in mason. Somewhere not too far from either of those so prefered.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I use the chop shop. Which is very sw Ohio. Probably further than you want to drive. I'm in Hamilton. They are in Harrison.