Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live From the Stand 2017.

Hunter II

I think i hit him higher than I originally thought. Bleeding out both sides. Ran 75 yards and stopped. Then took off. Tracked him 300 yards this morning with only little drops. I think he is going to be ok.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pretty productive morning so far. 3 small bucks and 3 does. All 3 does and 1 buck were killable. Just no sign of Mr. Big yet!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks like a sweet spot!!
It's proven to be pretty good so far. I've got a thicket behind me, where that doe was heading to. I'm sitting in a finger of White oaks that extends off from the main woods, between two big grassy areas and that thicket. I've had good traffic with at least half of the deer in bow range. All I need now is a shooter!

Gordo

Athens County
Awesome sit. Sat in the dark for a good 2 hours I think in stand. Primal camping last night courteous of the wife. [emoji1589]. Nuff said.

Anyhow, insanely covered in deer pre light with heavy rain, but could still see some white and a couple big racks banging away. Didn't hit legal light in time for a big boy, but it was non stop till about 9:30.(stopped raining at dawning).Young bucks pushing does. Shit tons of does. Everywhere. I was afraid to move to evenlook behind be for a while.

Was focused on where the two boys slamming disappeared to. The one looked freaky outta the glass, but who knows. Guarantee that deer is hung up in that same spot.

Then it started raining again till 12ish. A break in the action resulted in more buck sightings. One appeared to have a doe locked down. Didn't give two shits what I was doing.

Should not have left. That was the plan, but nothing for an all day sit due to BS!

I think i hit him higher than I originally thought. Bleeding out both sides. Ran 75 yards and stopped. Then took off. Tracked him 300 yards this morning with only little drops. I think he is going to be ok.

If you hit him and he is bleeding out both sides it may be worth spending a little extra effort searching. I have had (2) that were low brisket sort of around that shoulder/behind the shoulder area that went probably close to a mile after being shot. Both were pass through shots and both were non-vital shots in which the deer essentially bleed out.

The one we bumped 3 or 4 times the day after I shot him. He would run we would back out for a few hours then return and repeat for most of the day. We found him the next day in his bed pretty much of the verge of death as he had essentially bleed out over the course of a day he could not stand and could hardly lift his head it was very eye opening experience as prior to I generally had the same thoughts about non vital shots.

Ironically 2 years later I had essentially the same thing happen from the same stand and he ran to the same spot. This one we had lost blood and lost its trail that it was running on so ahd basically given up on. I stayed persistant and it was a hot early fall....ended up finding him dead about 4 or 5 days later due to smell. Not sure how long it took him to die but luckily his carcass was still intact and we looked for vital wounds and found none so my general assumption was again he basically bleed out in his bed.

Again not knowing a lot about the hit but just providing some experience I have had with non-vital shots.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Got a good pic of that big deer after he passed me this morning . He was bigger that I thought . Definitely 160s and flirting with 170 .
In the tree now . Couple does in front of me

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Medium 8 is soming back down the field. Small basket 8 to my right with his nose in the air~~think maybe hes looking for the James Valley doe scent clipped on my bow string.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Guy staying in the room across the hall at the hotel shot a good 8 point this morning. Said it was chasing a doe. His buddy sat all day and saw a lot of small bucks chasing along with a couple of big boys. Now is definitely the time to be out. This is in Hocking county.

Gordo

Athens County
Snuck out to the back 8. Lost f'n count. The deer population seems to be jamming this year. This guy was eyeing up my target on the way out.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Hunted daylight to dark in my ground blind on my 1/4 acre oat plot... long day with mixed bag. 9 turkeys. And 15 deer sightings ( same deer over and over). 1 spike and a 100" 8 point looking for love. At last light had 8 anterless in front of me and no bucks.