Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live From the Stand 2017.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I never saw a deer after 11AM this morning. Where I sat tonight, I could visually see a 300 yard long creek bottom that's half CRP, half clover. I could see the shelves and ridges lines on either side of the creek bottom. No wind, so I was hearing chipmunks 100 yards off. I stood from 3 to dark. I never saw or heard a deer.

I am a living black hole for rut activity. And that farm is cursed.

It's not just you. I'm hearing the same thing from everyone I talk to around here. I had two good morning sit, Wednesday and Thursday, but as good as they were, they were very poor for what I've sometimes seen there in early November. Few does moving anywhere. Hang with it, when you feel like it. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out on opening day of gun season and killed a deer and wondered why I wasted so much time fooling around during archery season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's not just you. I'm hearing the same thing from everyone I talk to around here. I had two good morning sit, Wednesday and Thursday, but as good as they were, they were very poor for what I've sometimes seen there in early November. Few does moving anywhere. Hang with it, when you feel like it. I can't tell you how many times I've gone out on opening day of gun season and killed a deer and wondered why I wasted so much time fooling around during archery season.
I'm coming full circle buddy. I forsake gun season during my carbon suit wearing, Drury brother wannabe, pro-staff pretender days, but I spent a good bit of my day dreaming up gun season strategies. I like being in the woods with a gun chasing animals and I'm already excited for the opener!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

The last two days I've been lusting after gun season. I'm usually not like this but today would have been perfect for a still hunt on one of my properties. The wind was perfect for it. Plus gun season brings out a lot of ying yangs who blow deer off their properties. Second rut (maybe an extension of the first rut we aren't seeing?) should be coming around. I haven't hunted as much as usual but I'm feeling a bit burnt out. Might need to go squirrel hunting next week to break it up.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Notta after getting right in the stand, sure seems odd but it was great to be back in the woods again drawing in the smells of the end of fall and the cold air of winter just around the corner.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The last two days I've been lusting after gun season. I'm usually not like this but today would have been perfect for a still hunt on one of my properties. The wind was perfect for it. Plus gun season brings out a lot of ying yangs who blow deer off their properties. Second rut (maybe an extension of the first rut we aren't seeing?) should be coming around. I haven't hunted as much as usual but I'm feeling a bit burnt out. Might need to go squirrel hunting next week to break it up.

That's what I'm talking about! Tired of sitting, walk in their bedroom and kill one! I love it. Gun season was a zoo back in the day. Now the first two weeks of November are Guns are fun too

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I️ has a hell of a day. Well most of it was the first 30 min but still. Right away at first light I️ hear crashing. Out bust a doe with a cute little fellar right on her ass. A few minutes later, another buck, then another...

They are chasing to my north and begin to head back south when all hell breaks loose. Deer are running everywhere. 6 bucks and 4 doe now. Turns out all the chasing got the attention of 2 coyote who wanted in on the fun. As I️ watch a yote have a stare down with two 1.5 yr old bucks at 5 yards distance from one another I️ was just wishing I️ had a lane (this was at 35-40 yards). The bucks were in golden rod so the yote would jump and down to try and keep tabs on them.

After the yotes gave up, the bucks resurrected the chasing into pines 60 yards away. That’s where the doe would stay for the day.

I️ ended up seeing the same 6 bucks multiple times throughout the day, 5 doe and 4 coyote (assuming the same 2 twice).

Now just baffled that the largest buck was maybe 85”....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Now that's what a rut hunt is supposed to sound like! Hope you get one of the bigger bucks to do the same sort of thing tomorrow!

Qback5

Had a really exciting hunt tonight. Bumped a doe and two fawns heading in. Two buttons came u see me and outta nowhere shooter buck is just out of range. Shooter and myself had quite a fun time with each other - walk away, call him back, walk away, call him back. I watched the buttons literally run circles around shooter in a swampy area. They made such a mess. Later shooter started chasing a mature doe who was still with youngins. She wanted nothing of what he was offering. All the chasing occurred under another stand I hunted in this morning...I chose wrong tonight but what a blast! Two small bucks also came under me and joined in the action up in a field where the chasing was occurring. Maybe most exciting hunt I've ever had, all smiles tonight even without a rage in the cage.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I saw 21 today...11 bucks. One of the better days at my place. Passed on the 4 year old 8 because of a broken 3. He looks good in person...135 easy. Also passed on a couple 3 year olds. Still no shooters on cam though.

NE-Oh-Hunter

NE Ohio
If there was ever an exemplary love/hate relationship, it would be me and bowhunting. Right now, I ain't feeling real cozy...

I will say I really enjoy this thread/forum. Nice to know there is a community supporting the love/hate relationship. Knowing when I don’t see anything or when I get frustrated, it’s not just me.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We saw two doe on far end of field about 200 yards away otherwise we got would have gotten skunked too! Struggling to be in the right place at the right time. Hunting some tomorrow then it’s back to work for 3 days. I’ll hit it hard Thursday thru Sunday though.....:pickle:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I saw 21 today...11 bucks. One of the better days at my place. Passed on the 4 year old 8 because of a broken 3. He looks good in person...135 easy. Also passed on a couple 3 year olds. Still no shooters on cam though.

WOW!!!! What a GREAT day Mike!!!! Keep on keepin buddy!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I took tonight off. Might take tomorrow off. Wanted to let you guys know. Generally when I do this all heck breaks loose. If I don't hunt tomorrow you all can thank me later for the crazy rut action. Lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I will say I really enjoy this thread/forum. Nice to know there is a community supporting the love/hate relationship. Knowing when I don’t see anything or when I get frustrated, it’s not just me.
You're never alone. Lots of different perspectives around here and I'm never one to shy away from sharing what's on my mind. Always good to know there's community even in misery!

lung buster

hocking county
My son Andrew killed a nice and wide 10 point tonight. He was the biggest that we have had on cam and obviously was our #1 target. As always, it's bitter sweet killing a deer you have a history with. It never gets old watching Drew have success in the woods and I think I was just as excited and probably more than he was. Good luck to you all and congrats to all who have been successful! I don't post much anymore do to how busy life is but I check in here on you all on a daily basis usually!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
My son Andrew killed a nice and wide 10 point tonight. He was the biggest that we have had on cam and obviously was our #1 target. As always, it's bitter sweet killing a deer you have a history with. It never gets old watching Drew have success in the woods and I think I was just as excited and probably more than he was. Good luck to you all and congrats to all who have been successful! I don't post much anymore do to how busy life is but I check in here on you all on a daily basis usually!
Where's the hero shot?????

Glad to hear you and your boy had a GREAT day a field!!! Congrats to your son!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Congrats!