Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live From the Stand 2017.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I went back out. As soon as I started walking away, I was amongst deer. A nice doe ran right across from me & went up past my ladder stand & where I was last. I saw some tails waving bye bye over the crest in the gas line. I made it to my climber @ 430 & had to decide if I really wanted to move the stand. The bow holder was still screwed in, so I had to get that , then try & find a tree which was next to impossible. I was sweating like a pig again. Nothing was good that was closer to that scrape. I didn't wanna be right on top of it & the only tree was among some cut downs. It stands out like a sore thumb, but I went up & am staying on the opposite side. I got settled in going on last light & I spotted a deer coming down a distant hill & knew he's go check that scrape, which he did. He finally came down the ally & past me at last light. A small 6. Good news is that I never got busted getting out. Scrape Alley is about 300 yards long. Tomorrow's the day .

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I went back out. As soon as I started walking away, I was amongst deer. A nice doe ran right across from me & went up past my ladder stand & where I was last. I saw some tails waving bye bye over the crest in the gas line. I made it to my climber @ 430 & had to decide if I really wanted to move the stand. The bow holder was still screwed in, so I had to get that , then try & find a tree which was next to impossible. I was sweating like a pig again. Nothing was good that was closer to that scrape. I didn't wanna be right on top of it & the only tree was among some cut downs. It stands out like a sore thumb, but I went up & am staying on the opposite side. I got settled in going on last light & I spotted a deer coming down a distant hill & knew he's go check that scrape, which he did. He finally came down the ally & past me at last light. A small 6. Good news is that I never got busted getting out. Scrape Ally is about 300 yards. Tomorrow's the day .
Pretty risky move there at 4:30!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I know. I was kicking myself, but better to do it now with all that wind than in the morn when it'll be ideal to be sitting.

Attachments

• 20171107_173615.jpg
    20171107_173615.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
First off, I'd like to say [emoji1617]to my POS phone. Thing dies at rapid rate. Can't hold a damn charge. Went from 1/3 to off after I took 4 pics in a row. WTF? Should have some kick ass photos.

Got in stand around 10:30. Didn't see anything till 12:15-12:30 when I posted on here. Got the full show after that. Lost count, but saw at least 5 different bucks. Also got winded 3 different times. That wind was a PITA

Each time it was a direct result of throwing a grunt or a bleet out at a deer, and then the damn wind would do a 180 to 360 shift. Still can't believe they where winding me from 80 yards away and blowing.

Once the wind sizzled down and was constant(last 45 or so) there was no problems. That's when I really was on top of there asses and they where clueless. A lot of grunting, heard a good short fight, and the deer walked the scrip for the new stand at the end.

Two nice up and comers and one that could have been a shooter at dark.

Think this stand is more suited for early a.m. hunts. Be back there tomorrow nice and early.

Running into Wally World now to get a damn 'mobile charger'.

The one pic I got of s little feller walking the script. Took pic right as he was jumping over top of drainage. It's a highway. 7 others came that same route.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He's a good one Kevin. I don't know your areas. Sure sounds like you are moving a ton. I could be wrong. From the outside looking in, it sounds like you need to find a spot and stick to it. I think you are overthinking this thing. Go with your gut. Sit it out. Take notes. Learn from it. Adapt in the future. Lots of my stands are not ideal for shooting a deer. Possible I can get a shot if everything goes right. For example, tonight I sat where I could observe some distance in multiple directions. Took the decoy to try to pull some deer in. It worked for one young buck. My main goal was to see if I could pinpoint where they were moving or where I might sit in the future. BUT- I didn't alter course. I stuck to the stand. Had I seen deer moving 100-200yds away, I would have still stayed put and changed locations on another hunt.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
He's a good one Kevin. I don't know your areas. Sure sounds like you are moving a ton. I could be wrong. From the outside looking in, it sounds like you need to find a spot and stick to it. I think you are overthinking this thing. Go with your gut. Sit it out. Take notes. Learn from it. Adapt in the future. Lots of my stands are not ideal for shooting a deer. Possible I can get a shot if everything goes right. For example, tonight I sat where I could observe some distance in multiple directions. Took the decoy to try to pull some deer in. It worked for one young buck. My main goal was to see if I could pinpoint where they were moving or where I might sit in the future. BUT- I didn't alter course. I stuck to the stand. Had I seen deer moving 100-200yds away, I would have still stayed put and changed locations on another hunt.
Good points, Phil. It'll take a few years if not more to learn this property, Kevin.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Are the deer even hitting scrapes at that property now? Mine are all dried up, for now.

This is why I call it scrape alley. I keep finding new scrapes. I pulled this card this morning & that's why I ran back out this afternoon after reviewing. I only live a few minutes away. At least 5 different bucks, & some does are checking it in the last few days, not to mention yesterday. I think some of the bucks are cutting off the trail before they would get to my earlier position, so that's why I moved.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
This is why I call it scrape alley. I keep finding new scrapes. I pulled this card this morning & that's why I ran back out this afternoon after reviewing. I only live a few minutes away. At least 5 different bucks, & some does are checking it in the last few days, not to mention yesterday. I think some of the bucks are cutting off the trail before they would get to my earlier position, so that's why I moved.
I did watch a dink make a scrape yesterday, and it hasn't been touched since.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good points, Phil. It'll take a few years if not more to learn this property, Kevin.

You're right Chad.

I'm really not moving that much, but my observations are dictating my movements just the same. I feel tomorrow is going to be a good day based on what I learned today. This scrape had a lot of visitors recently.

Attachments

• MFDC0179.jpg
    MFDC0179.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I blew a shot at 35 yards at a pretty nice buck today right at 2:30 by shooting just over his back, ugh! This one hurt cuz it was a shot that I dream of. I was hunting on the ground and it came together like I had hoped but I just plain didn’t do my part. I didn’t rush my shot or panic, just miss judged him for being a little further than he was and prolly held a tad too high. He didn’t appear to know what had happened and didn’t booger too bad so all hope is not lost. Gross 10 prolly around 150 that Ron found a shed to this past winter. He’s a little bigger and his shed scored around 65”. This one stings a bit. Hope to get another chance at redemption.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn Ric! Sorry to hear it buddy. Hopefully he gives you another chance.

---

I really wish I could get back out. Last week spoiled me. This working shit is for the birds!!!