Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2017-2018 Season Goals thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This is the first time in my life I have not had extreme time obligations in the summer or Hunting season! So there are a lot of first for me!

1. Be out for opening day.
2. Take in the beauty that surrounds me and forget about the dumpster fire our world has turned into! Disconnecting from social media is always an amazing thing!
3. Target a few bucks I have been tracking this summer.
3. Harvest a big heifer!
4. Get my wife and daughters out to experience a few hunts.
5. Help a fellow hunter be successful.
6. Don't dwell on the mistakes and enjoy the experience!!!!!! (Live and Learn)

Glad to hear this!! Good luck this season....

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Thanks fellas!

Personal Goals are unique to each person's given moment in time, we should see some similar ones but to each guy their own! Good luck to you guys and I hope you reach your goals, you bunch of snowflakes! lol

Great post Phil, definitely a good list to have for you after this year. Mine will be simple, hunt when I can, spend time with my dad and make sure he enjoys himself if he goes, hunt with the kids if at all possible and finally enjoy life and whatever God sends my way.

My goals are simple and have been the same for the last few years. First. Have fun. After that it is always a goal of mine to have all 3 kids get their buck and at least 1 doe. After that it is just icing on the cake. I have alot of hope that we will get a deer on the ground on Saturday in PA.

OO2

In the Uplands
Have fun. Learn all I can. Enjoy the camaraderi. Kill a deer with my recurve and/or my grandpas Xbow.

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Get my 8 yr old son his first deer .
Hopefully kill a good buck , if not tho that's fine too . Killing one isn't that important to me anymore
Avoid people , had alot of problems the last couple years on several property with hunter harassment by neighbors . Hopefully this year I can just be left alone .

nis1

I'm glad to see everyone's priorities are so in line. this will be my 3rd season hunting in a Metroparks hunt where I usually kick the season off putting way too much pressure on myself to slay deer to get the invite back for next year. Then I follow the doe slaying with putting a bunch more pressure on myself to kill a big buck, all while getting overly flustered with my attempts at killing a good deer being foiled by other hunters, dogs, and trespassers. With all that being said, these are my tentative goals that I will do my best to stick to but will likely go out the door immediately.

1. I want to focus more on just purely having fun.

2. I want to focus more on helping my wife, hunting buddy, and Dad be more successful hunters (maybe let one of them take charge on the doe killing for the parks hunt since all 4 of us are in it)

3. Even though I want to focus on fun, I still want to hunt hard and take a buck I'm proud of. Being in a tree is my comfort zone and because of a hand injury, I don't think I'll be able to climb into my sets at least for a while so i think it would be neat to take a mature buck from the ground.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been there Nick. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies when it comes to deer. Self inflicted pressure is pretty silly when you think about it, yet, I've done it to myself many times. Lol

Have fun and good luck!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My goals are as follows.

1. Have fun, and be safe, I'm at peace in a tree.
2. Help my buddy Josh get his first buck.
3. Kill ol splitter
4. Hunt smart, but hard
5. Hunt other properties I have more often, I'm kinda bad at putting all my eggs in one basket.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hope to fish more. And I hope to enjoy hunting when I go. Mason and I have no deer on the radar with any more assigned value than the next this year. If one shows up at the right time, we may shoot at it. If not, we are accustomed to that too. It's a good season to enjoy.
Good luck to everyone.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Have fun and just enjoy myself.
Hoping the boys hunt this year in their busy workload.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I'm with ya Brock. I have been having more fun fishing than hunting . I actually think I'm looking forward to walleye fishing more than bowhunting this fall and winter

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
This is the first time in my life I have not had extreme time obligations in the summer or Hunting season! So there are a lot of first for me!

1. Be out for opening day.
2. Take in the beauty that surrounds me and forget about the dumpster fire our world has turned into! Disconnecting from social media is always an amazing thing!
3. Target a few bucks I have been tracking this summer.
3. Harvest a big heifer!
4. Get my wife and daughters out to experience a few hunts.
6. Don't dwell on the mistakes and enjoy the experience!!!!!! (Live and Learn)

1. Be out on opening day

2.2. Take in the beauty that surrounds me and forget about the dumpster fire our world has turned into! Disconnecting from social media is always an amazing thing!

4.4. Get my wife and daughters out to experience a few hunts.
Taking one of them thursday after work and this weekend.

Got these done so far! Been a fun season so far!!!