Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 3

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
View attachment 57871

Back at it this afternoon. Trying the decoy to see if it pays off like it did for Brock and Mason!

Brought a little spike to us tonight

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad you guys are getting out or will be soon! Wish I still had that coveted tag! Decoys are awesome imo. I've had that thing for probably ten years but only used it a time or two before last year. I wish I'd used it more. I've concluded if a buck sees it, he's coming. The one Mason killed had the choice of the decoy or three does. Bad choice for him. Good luck!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll add this; Monday evening we saw three bucks. Only one of them saw the decoy and he came. Unfortunately he was a dink. I really wish the 180 would have seen it, even though Mason said he didn't think he could have pulled his bow. lol

Gordo

Athens County
Glad you guys are getting out or will be soon! Wish I still had that coveted tag! Decoys are awesome imo. I've had that thing for probably ten years but only used it a time or two before last year. I wish I'd used it more. I've concluded if a buck sees it, he's coming. The one Mason killed had the choice of the decoy or three does. Bad choice for him. Good luck!

You have me wanting to give that a go. PITA to deal with, but have never done that and it's been paying off for you.

Go crazy on scent control with it or just stick with the norm?

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I think decoys are a PITA to haul out there too. I've only used one a few times, but they do work. Shot my biggest deer ever with one, and always have deer show interest. The only buck that saw it last night (a dink 6) came to it. I also had a little fawn come and hang out with it for the last 30 minutes of light. It was sniffing it, etc. If you are using a buck decoy, set it about 20 yards upwind of you and quartering toward you. Deer will want to approach it from downwind, which will put them between you and the decoy, with their attention on the decoy.

Got some points for us with a doe this morning. I'll get a pic of it posted on the scoring thread here in a bit.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gordo- I had a buddy that used to smoke his. I don't do anything with mine but get it out of the rafters and take it to the farm. I set an evercalm next to it. I could probably do a better job but I'm lazy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Should see some movement! This morning has been great. Hopefully that will continue for a few days.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Couldn't go out today. Heavy rain night before last exposed a problem in the basement. I have a window well filling with water. Been out all morning digging around the wind well and 30 ft out away from the house 3ft deep to put a new drain in. Been rough digging it by hand. Luckily just got off the phone with a neighbor and will be going shortly to pick up his mini excavator. Should be able to finish the digging with it this afternoon. Will be back out tomorrow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yes, several times. Mom and Dad were up there in August. They tore up the perch while I was watching shiners die of old age on Erie. Lol.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Back at it until Thursday. Got a pic of the nice 10 point but he has broke some tines, I would still shoot him as well as a couple nice little 8 points.

Last edited: