Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scent Control

JC HUNTER

What do you guys like to use to eliminate your scent? I've used the cover sprays in the past but they didn't seem to work that well for me. I started filling a 50 gallon garbage can with dirt, leaves, corn, sticks....I would fill half way full and then throw my camo in with it. I would then tip it up on it's top so the dirt got all through the clothes. I've been doing this for 2 years now and it has made a world of difference. I see way more deer than I use to and they never pick up my scent.

Kempire

Wash everything in scent free soap, including me. Stick my gear in a plastic tote and don't put it on until I get out of my truck. Quick spray with some scent blocking spray (think I used primos last year).

With that said, my step dad and his brother smoke a billion cigarettes and eat snacks in their stands and those boys kill more deer than anyone I know.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Baking soda for clothes, scent free soap for me, then smoke it all up. I store everything in totes and a Rubbermaid storage closet.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
All makes a scent free detergent, comes in a white bottle and I bought it 3 years ago and just finished it up with my latest warm weather clothing procurement.....

Everything in a tote, smoke the shit outta it and add ever calm to your trail in and sit back and wait....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Scent free detergent. Shower with scent free soap starting a month before season and all the way through. Smoke my clothes, myself, and store them in totes, never wear them in your vehicle. Evercalm on my boots before I go in, and on a few limbs out around my tree.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Wash all clothes in scent free soap, hang dry outside and then spray with scent killer. Reactivate carbon lined clothes in dryer. Place clothes in scent free container. This year I am trying some ozone treatments vs smoke treatments as an experiment. Scent free showers and deodorant. Interesting some of you mentioned that you use the deodorant well before season starts as I have noticed that if you continue to use both a scent free deodorant and regular deodorant throughout the season, you can still faintly smell your everyday deodorant after applying the scent free. I may have to try this as well.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wash all clothes in scent free soap, hang dry outside and then spray with scent killer. Reactivate carbon lined clothes in dryer. Place clothes in scent free container. This year I am trying some ozone treatments vs smoke treatments as an experiment. Scent free showers and deodorant. Interesting some of you mentioned that you use the deodorant well before season starts as I have noticed that if you continue to use both a scent free deodorant and regular deodorant throughout the season, you can still faintly smell your everyday deodorant after applying the scent free. I may have to try this as well.

I got away from all the fru-fru smelling stuff years ago.... All natural smelling here... The wife wears perfume, she smells good enough for the both of us lol

Floki

I use Philip Morris for a smoker. "Marlboro" other than that maybe a cup of coffee with some hazel nut creamer.
Personally myself i think scent is way over rated. Movement is the number one decider. If your going to kill a deer or not.
Just my two cents.