Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzle loader explodes

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Was that one of the smokeless powder shooting guns?

Can't tell. Whatever it was human error. Either way too much powder, bullet lodged in barrel part way up or double charge. More inclined to think a double charge from info on other forums.

Wmiller07

My first thoughts are obstruction or double charge. I'm inclined to think obstruction because I've seen tests of double charged muzzleloaders and they were fine.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
looks like a smokeless to me. im going with obsruction

Floki

I agree obstruction. I had a gun blow up on me one time. Thought I was a goner. My buddy was going to let his kid use it. It was his gun. So the kid was a little scared to shoot the gun. So I grabbed it and shot it.

Six or so inches blew off the end of the barrel. Cut through my car heart coat a sweater and car hart bibs. Cut me pretty bad and made me drop to one knee.

My buddy was laughing at me cause he thought I was playing a trick on his kid. He didn't see what had happened. Then he realized it wasn't a joke. Anyhow needless to say that made me a little gun shy after the fact for a while.
I'm just glad it happend to me and not the kid. That would have ruined him. Scary stuff to say the least.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I would think its from not getting the sabot all the way down on the charge. That's why you should scribe the ramrod with a charge in.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
The bolt handle and the rear end of the bolt appears to be from a Remington 700ML but the color of the stock is different from a 700ML. I have never seen a suppressor on a muzzy. A remote guess is the plastic part of a sabot from the previous shot jammed in the suppressor? Causing the gun to blow up on the next shot. If it was loaded with black powder There would have been more white smoke.

Its also weird that someone decided to film a simple shot of a muzzleloader?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The bolt handle and the rear end of the bolt appears to be from a Remington 700ML but the color of the stock is different from a 700ML. I have never seen a suppressor on a muzzy. A remote guess is the plastic part of a sabot from the previous shot jammed in the suppressor? Causing the gun to blow up on the next shot. If it was loaded with black powder There would have been more white smoke.

It was commented on about the muzzle brake and a standard ram rod not seating the bullet.... Multiple shots and catastrophic failure...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I would think its from not getting the sabot all the way down on the charge. That's why you should scribe the ramrod with a charge in.

You CANNOT be complacent, especially with a smokeless muzzleloader.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio

I have filmed all sort of guns being shot for everything from seeing recoil to shooting posture to sending the clip to the guest shooter as a memory or first time.
Nothing weird about it in my world...